Apple just announced the best apps and games of 2022 that won the App Store Awards. By spotlighting 16 applications, the company says they “inspired users to engage more deeply with the world, expand their imaginations, and stay connected to friends and loved ones.”
“This year’s App Store Award winners reimagined our experiences with apps that delivered fresh, thoughtful, and genuine perspectives,” said Tim Cook, Apple’s CEO. “From self-taught solo creators to international teams spanning the globe, these entrepreneurs are making a meaningful impact, and represent the ways in which apps and games influence our communities and lives.”
For the iPhone, Apple says the social media app BeReal is the winner of the App Store Awards 2022 as it gives users “an authentic look into the lives of their family and friends.” For the Apple Watch, Gentler Streak, the app that brings compassion to your fitness goals, is the winner of this category. GoodNotes 5, which offers “best-in-class” Apple Pencil support for digital note-taking, is the one being highlighted for the iPad.
In the App Store Awards 2022, the Mac app winner was MacFamilyTree 10, which “sparks the exploration of genealogy through stunning visual trees and collaboration with loved ones around the world.” Last but not least, ViX is the Apple TV app winner of the night, as it elevates Spanish-language stories to the forefront of entertainment.
Here are the App Store Awards 2022 winners
Apple also highlights the games that won the App Store Awards 2022.
- iPhone App of the Year: BeReal, from BeReal;
- iPad App of the Year: GoodNotes 5, from Time Base Technology Limited;
- Mac App of the Year: MacFamilyTree 10, from Synium Software GmbH;
- Apple TV App of the Year: ViX, from TelevisaUnivision Interactive, Inc;
- Apple Watch App of the Year: Gentler Streak, from Gentler Stories LLC.
Here are the games that won the App Store Awards 2022:
- iPhone Game of the Year: Apex Legends Mobile, from Electronic Arts;
- iPad Game of the Year: Moncage, from X.D. Network Inc;
- Mac Game of the Year: Inscryption, from Devolver;
- Apple TV Game of the Year: El Hijo, from HandyGames;
- Apple Arcade Game of the Year: Wylde Flowers, from Studio Drydock Pty Ltd;
- China Game of the Year: League of Legends Esports Manager, from Shenzhen Tencent Tianyou Technology Ltd.
Cultural Impact Winners
In addition to the apps above, Apple recognized the best apps and games that have made a “lasting impact on people’s lives and influenced culture.” Here they are:
- How We Feel from the How We Feel Project, Inc;
- Dot’s Home from the Rise-Home Stories Project;
- Locket Widget from Locket Labs, Inc;
- Waterllama from Vitalii Mogylevets;
- Inua – A Story in Ice and Time from ARTE Experience.
More coverage: Slate’s Slow Burn is 2022 Apple Podcasts award winner