Jawbone might have started as a Bluetooth headset company, but it’s now also the maker of the best fitness tracker in the world. We gave the UP24 that honor for a number of reasons, and the band’s fantastic accompanying software sits somewhere near the top. Not everyone wants to wear a fitness tracker though, and now you don’t have to: Jawbone has released a new version of its great app that makes use of iOS 8’s new Healthkit features and doesn’t require any separate hardware.
Jawbone on Sunday evening released a brand new UP app for Apple’s mobile devices. It works on iPhone and iPod touch models running iOS 8 or later, though to get the most out of the app you’ll need an iPhone 6, iPhone 6 PLus or iPhone 5s.
Here’s the app’s description:
UP® is a revolutionary system that guides you every step of the way to a better, healthier you. First, UP gets to know you—tracking your activity, diet and sleep. Next, it shows you how to make simple adjustments that, over time, add up to a whole new you. No UP or UP24 wristband required. Simply connect UP with Apple Health and it will track using your available steps and sleep data. If you have an iPhone 5s or higher, Apple Health will use your phone to track steps.
– UP/ UP24 wristband not required.
– Connect UP to Apple’s Health app to provide richer activity tracking and personalized insights.
– Get personalized insights to help you set & achieve your goals
– Log your food & drink & track nutritional info
– Track your physical activity and get more fit
– Log workouts, from yoga and hiking to tennis and dance
– Log your sleep
– Team up with friends in the app for encouragement and friendly competition
– Today I Will – UP suggests personalized goals. If you accept, UP encourages you along the way
– Streaks & Milestones – Get notifications that celebrate the progress you’re making
– Activity alerts – Receive move notifications when you want them.
– Share UP’s Insights via email, message, Facebook or Twitter
Supported languages: English, Spanish, Dutch, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese (Brazilian), Russian, Simplified Chinese and Traditional Chinese
GAIN INSIGHT INTO YOURSELF
UP’s Insight Engine will deliver personalized, actionable insights that guide you towards healthier choices as UP learns about you over time.
Studies show that simply tracking what you eat can help you lose weight. And whether you want to shed a few pounds or just eat healthier, tracking food is now even easier. New features include frequent meals, an enhanced calorie counter, and an expanded library of restaurant menus. There’s even a Food Score, so you can quickly see how healthy your food is.
UP is like a coach that gets to know you, then guides you to make simple decisions that lead to a more active life. With step tracking, workout logging and Insight Reports, UP is way more than a pedometer. Add friends to your team to cheer and be cheered.
Log your sleep and UP will intelligently analyzes your sleep, diet and exercise, then suggest simple adjustments that lead to more rest and happier days.
CONNECT TO YOUR FAVORITE DEVICES AND APPS
UP works with over 100 apps and devices, and counting. Whether you’re biking with Strava, working out with Wello or jogging with RunKeeper, track it all with UP for the most complete picture of your day and night.
On a personal note, the release of this new stand-alone app couldn’t have come at a better time. As noted in an update to my original review, my second UP24 band died on Sunday so I’ll be using Jawbone’s standalone app until my replacement arrives.