As Twitter plans to end the Blue checkmark for legacy accounts next week, the social media platform announced the new perk of being a Blue subscriber: 10,000 character tweets with bold and italics support.
The information comes from the Twitter Write account, which says the company is “making improvements to the writing and reading experience” on the platform. With that, the social media platform, once known for 140 characters posts, is now trying to compete with Substack – as it’s also limiting the reach of users posting about it – with up to 10k characters in length with bold and italic text formatting.
In addition to that, Twitter Blue subscribers can now apply to enable Subscriptions on their accounts to earn income directly on Twitter. This is possible by tapping the “Monetization” tab in settings. That being said, this monetization offering is available only to users in the US.
Recent data shared by The Information indicates that Twitter Blue is struggling to attract subscribers, as it has around 290,000 global users, which is 0.1 percent of the 250 million daily active users reported by the company last year.
What are the perks of being a Twitter Blue subscriber?
Twitter Blue costs $8/month or $84/early. These are some of the features it currently offers to subscribers:
- Edit Tweet: This feature gives you a 30-minute window to make a limited number of changes to published Tweets;
- Half ads: See approximately 50% fewer ads in the For You and Following timelines. As you scroll, you will see approximately twice as many organic or non-promoted Tweets placed in between promoted Tweets or ads;
- Longer Tweets: Want to Tweet more than 280 characters? Longer Tweets allow Blue subscribers to Tweet up to 10,000 characters;
- Text formatting. Now you can bold and italicize text in your Tweets on twitter.com;
- Bookmark Folders: Bookmark Folders let Twitter Blue subscribers group and organize Bookmarked Tweets into folders for faster discovery later;
- Custom app icons: With Custom App icons, you can change how your Twitter App icon displays on your phone;
- NFT Profile Pictures: You can show off the NFTs you own in a hex-shaped profile picture on your Twitter account;
- Themes: Twitter Blue Themes let you choose from colorful options for your app theme.
You can learn more about the perks of being a Twitter Blue subscriber here.