Samsung had a terrible year so far, having to deal with two major recalls. The Galaxy Note 7 was recalled worldwide, and production was discontinued after numerous customers reported fires and battery explosions. After that, Samsung had to recall almost 3 million washing machines in the US, which injured at least nine people in the country.
The company decided one more formal apology is in order and took out full-page ads in three major newspapers, including The Wall Street Journal, The New York Times, and The Washington Post.
The letter targeting English-speaking consumers was credited to Gregory Lee, the CEO of Samsung Electronics, The Korea Herald reports. “An important tenet of our mission is to offer best-in-class safety and quality. Recently, we fell short on this promise. For this we are truly sorry,” the CEO said.
Unfortunately, Samsung still has no idea what caused the Galaxy Note 7 explosions. Or it’s not willing to share that information with the public at this time.
Full-page apology ads are the future of print media: pic.twitter.com/fBAZ9uXFmD
— Rurik Bradbury (@RurikBradbury) November 7, 2016
“We will re-examine every aspect of the device, including all hardware, software, manufacturing and the overall battery structure. We will move as quickly as possible, but will take the time needed to get the right answers,” the company said.
“Most importantly, safety remains our top priority. We will listen to you, learn from this and act in a way that allows us to earn back your trust,” Samsung also said. “We are grateful for your ongoing support, and again, we are truly sorry.”
Full-page apologies in major newspapers are definitely a great trick, and shouldn’t go unappreciated. Let’s just hope it’s not all just talk.