It’s pretty great that just about every major TV provider out there these days has an iOS app and an Android app that let customers stream TV content. After all, in the age of the internet and of cord cutting, there’s absolutely no reason that someone should be tethered to his or her living room couch when they want to watch something on TV. But those nifty free apps all have some serious limitations, and there’s plenty you can watch at home that isn’t available in any mobile app. And what about all of the shows and movies you recorded on your DVR? Do you want to have to sit around when you’re trying to leave and wait for them to transfer to your iPad or Android tablet, or do you want to stream whatever you want, whenever you want?
It’s time to ditch your pay TV provider’s app and take your home TV with you anywhere you go thanks to the Slingbox 500 Place-Shifting Media Streamer by Sling Media, which is on sale at a discount right now on Amazon.
Here are some key details:
- Watch and control 100% of your live TV on a tablet*, phone*, PC, or Mac. *Requires Slingplayer for mobile devices app, sold separately.
- Windows or MAC minimum requirements : Intel Core 2 Duo or better, DirectX 9 Class video card with more than 256 MB of dedicated memory for Windows PC
- Home TV interface via HDMI with live sports and Gallery View for easy program discovery.
- Sort by program genre or set up favorites, Integrated YouTube app and YouTube Web Gallery with top-trending videos.
- Get contextual YouTube recommendations, based on the show you’re watching, at the touch of a button.
The Slingbox works with every single cable and satellite provider, and it offers an experience as if you’re sitting right in your living room no matter where you are in the world. Best of all, once you buy the box and the apps you want, it’s free to use forever.
Sling Media’s Slingbox 500 Place-Shifting Media Streamer retails for $299.99 but it’s on sale this week for $249.99 with free Prime shipping, a $50 discount.
Follow @BGRDeals on Twitter to keep up with the latest and greatest deals we find around the web.
BGR Deals content is independent of Editorial and Advertising, and BGR may receive a commission on purchases made through our posts.