Click to Skip Ad
Closing in...

If you buy through a BGR link, we may earn an affiliate commission, helping support our expert product labs.

Student forced to ‘stop, drop and roll’ when her iPhone caught fire in her pocket

Published Jan 31st, 2014 4:45PM EST
iPhone Catches Fire in Student's Pocket

Walking and texting might not be the only risk associated with smartphone ownership. According to the Portland Press Herald, a middle school student in Kennebunk, Maine had to stop, drop and roll after her iPhone spontaneously caught fire in her pocket. She reportedly sustained minor burns during the incident and was quickly taken to the nearest hospital for treatment. Thankfully, the injuries were insignificant enough that the student was told she could return to school the same day.

We previously covered an exploding Apple product back in 2011, when an iPhone 4 started “emitting a significant amount of dense smoke” on an airplane that had just landed in Australia. More recently, an iPad on display in a retail shop began shooting sparks and spewing smoke this past November.

Jacob Siegal
Jacob Siegal Associate Editor

Jacob Siegal is Associate Editor at BGR, having joined the news team in 2013. He has over a decade of professional writing and editing experience, and helps to lead our technology and entertainment product launch and movie release coverage.