Every month, streaming services add dozens of new shows and movies to their libraries. They do this in order to keep their old subscribers around and entice new ones into signing up. But no matter how exciting these additions may be, there are far too many services for any of us to subscribe to them all. Thankfully, paid services aren’t the only choices — many free alternatives have started popping up all over. One of the best options is The Roku Channel, and the service is adding a bunch of free movies to its library in February.
The Roku Channel added 27 new movies back in January, including Back to the Future, Taxi Driver, and Hook. Another 29 movies will join the library in February. Some highlights are American Hustle, Moneyball, The Hurt Locker, and Punch-Drunk Love.
In addition to on-demand movies and shows, The Roku Channel also features a number of live channels. These include ABC News Live, Family Feud, Real Crime, Fubo Sports Network, Movie Favorites by Lifetime, and WeatherNation.
Free movies on The Roku Channel in February
Free drama movies on The Roku Channel | February 2023
- 28 Days – A big-city newspaper columnist is forced to enter a drug and alcohol rehab center after ruining her sister’s wedding and crashing a stolen limousine.
- A League of Their Own – Two sisters join the first female professional baseball league and struggle to help it succeed amid their own growing rivalry.
- Ali – A biography of sports legend Muhammad Ali, focusing on his triumphs and controversies between 1964 and 1974.
- American Hustle – A con man, Irving Rosenfeld, along with his seductive partner Sydney Prosser, is forced to work for a wild F.B.I. Agent, Richie DiMaso, who pushes them into a world of Jersey powerbrokers and the Mafia.
- Internal Affairs – An Internal Affairs agent becomes obsessed with bringing down a cop who has managed to maintain a spotless reputation despite being involved in a web of corruption.
- Moneyball – Oakland A’s general manager Billy Beane’s successful attempt to assemble a baseball team on a lean budget by employing computer-generated analysis to acquire new players.
- Money Master – Financial TV host Lee Gates and his producer Patty are put in an extreme situation when an irate investor takes them and their crew as hostage.
- Obsessed – A successful asset manager, who has just received a huge promotion, is blissfully happy in his career and in his marriage. But when a temp worker starts stalking him, all the things he’s worked so hard for are placed in jeopardy.
- Pain and Glory – A film director reflects on the choices he’s made in life as the past and present come crashing down around him.
- Roman J. Israel Esq. – Roman J. Israel, Esq., a driven, idealistic defense attorney, finds himself in a tumultuous series of events that lead to a crisis and the necessity for extreme action.
- Scenic Route – Tensions rise between lifelong friends Mitchell and Carter after their truck breaks down on an isolated desert road as they start to attack each other’s life decisions with unwavering brutality.
- Silverado – A misfit bunch of friends comes together to right the injustices which exist in a small town.
- The Lovely Bones – Centers on a young girl who has been murdered and watches over her family – and her killer – from purgatory. She must weigh her desire for vengeance against her desire for her family to heal.
- The Visit – Two siblings become increasingly frightened by their grandparents’ disturbing behavior while visiting them on vacation.
- Where Hands Touch – A rites of passage story of a bi-racial teen struggling for survival in Nazi Germany.
Free action movies on The Roku Channel | February 2023
- Criminal – In a last-ditch effort to stop a diabolical plot, a dead CIA operative’s memories, secrets, and skills are implanted into a death-row inmate in hopes that he will complete the operative’s mission.
- Dawn of the Dead – A nurse, a policeman, a young married couple, a salesman and other survivors of a worldwide plague that is producing aggressive, flesh-eating zombies, take refuge in a mega Midwestern shopping mall.
- Freelancers – The son of a slain NYPD officer joins the force, where he falls in with his father’s former partner and a team of rogue cops.
- The Hurt Locker – During the Iraq War, a Sergeant recently assigned to an army bomb squad is put at odds with his squad mates due to his maverick way of handling his work.
- Seven Years of Tibet – True story of Heinrich Harrer, an Austrian mountain climber who became friends with the Dalai Lama at the time of China’s takeover of Tibet.
Free comedy movies on The Roku Channel | February 2023
- Deuce Bigalow: European Gigolo – Deuce is tricked again into man-whoring by T.J., only in Amsterdam while other man-whores are being murdered in his midst.
- Employee of the Month – A slacker competes with a repeat winner for the “Employee of the Month” title at work, in order to gain the affections of a new female employee.
- First Sunday – Two bungling, petty criminal BFFs try to rob a church, but someone from staff beat them to it. They spend the night with the church staff to get the money.
- The Cable Guy – A designer makes a grievous mistake when he rejects the friendship of a borderline cable guy.
Free romance movies on The Roku Channel | February 2023
- Legends of the Fall – In the early 1900s, three brothers and their father living in the remote wilderness of Montana are affected by betrayal, history, love, nature, and war.
- Jumping the Broom – Two very different families converge on Martha’s Vineyard one weekend for a wedding.
- Poetic Justice – Grieving hairdresser, Justice, goes on a road trip from South Central L.A. to Oakland on a mail truck alongside her friend and a postal worker which she cannot stand
- Pride – U.K. gay activists work to help miners during their lengthy strike of the National Union of Mineworkers in the summer of 1984.
- Punch-Drunk Love – Socially frustrated Barry Egan calls a phone-sex line to curb his loneliness. Little does he know it will land him in deep trouble and will jeopardize his burgeoning romance with the mysterious Lena.
Roku is also adding two TV shows that will be free to stream on The Roku Channel:
- Meet Me in Paris – Three real women travel to Paris to find love in a first-of-its-kind reality rom-com.
- Walker Texas Ranger – Walker and his partner Trivette are Texas Rangers. They make it their business to battle crime in Dallas and all around the Great State of Texas.
Keep scrolling for all of the free movies on The Roku Channel from January.
Free movies on The Roku Channel in January
Free drama movies on The Roku Channel | January 2023
- Public Enemies – The Feds try to take down notorious American gangsters John Dillinger, Baby Face Nelson, and Pretty Boy Floyd during a booming crime wave in the 1930s.
- Enough – After running away fails, a terrified woman empowers herself in order to battle her abusive husband.
- Taxi Driver – A mentally unstable veteran works as a nighttime taxi driver in New York City, where the perceived decadence and sleaze fuels his urge for violent action.
- Cadillac Records – Chronicles the rise of Chess Records and its recording artists.
- The Founder – The story of Ray Kroc, a salesman who turned two brothers’ innovative fast food eatery, McDonald’s, into the biggest restaurant business in the world, with a combination of ambition, persistence, and ruthlessness.
- No – An advertising executive comes up with a campaign to defeat Augusto Pinochet in Chile’s 1988 referendum.
- Underworld – Selene, a vampire warrior, is entrenched in a conflict between vampires and werewolves, while falling in love with Michael, a human who is sought by werewolves for unknown reasons.
- Underworld: Evolution – Picking up directly from the previous movie, vampire warrior Selene and the half werewolf Michael hunt for clues to reveal the history of their races and the war between them.
- Underworld: Rise of the Lycans – An origins story centered on the centuries-old feud between the race of aristocratic vampires and their onetime slaves, the Lycans.
- Gotti – The story of crime boss John Gotti and his son.
- Brothers – While on tour in Afghanistan, Sam’s copter is shot down and he is presumed dead. Back home, it is his screw-up brother who looks after the family. Sam does return, but with a lot of excess baggage.
Free family movies on The Roku Channel | January 2023
- Finding Neverland – The story of Sir J.M. Barrie’s friendship with a family who inspired him to create Peter Pan.
- Akeelah and the Bee – A young girl from South Los Angeles tries to make it to the National Spelling Bee.
Free action movies on The Roku Channel | January 2023
- Cinderella Man – The story of James J. Braddock, a supposedly washed-up boxer who came back to challenge for the heavyweight championship of the world.
- Young Guns – A group of young gunmen, led by Billy the Kid, become deputies to avenge the murder of the rancher who became their benefactor. But when Billy takes their authority too far, they become the hunted.
Free comedy movies on The Roku Channel | January 2023
- Back to the Future – Marty McFly, a 17-year-old high school student, is accidentally sent 30 years into the past in a time-traveling DeLorean invented by his close friend, the maverick scientist Doc Brown.
- Evan Almighty – God contacts Congressman Evan Baxter and tells him to build an ark in preparation for a great flood.
- Hook – When Captain James Hook kidnaps his children, an adult Peter Pan must return to Neverland and reclaim his youthful spirit in order to challenge his old enemy.
- Walk Hard: The Dewey Cox Story – Singer Dewey Cox overcomes adversity to become a musical legend.
- Rough Night – Things go terribly wrong for a group of girlfriends who hire a male stripper for a bachelorette party in Miami.
- Barbershop – A day in the life of a South Side Chicago barbershop.
- Barbershop 2: Back in Business – The owner of an historic South Side Chicago barbershop is pressured to sell out to a land developer, but must face the impact this would have on his close-knit community.
- Barbershop: The Next Cut – As their surrounding community has taken a turn for the worse, the crew at Calvin’s Barbershop come together to bring some much needed change to their neighborhood.
Free romance movies on The Roku Channel | January 2023
- Written in the Stars – When Kelsey’s magazine approves her pitch about a sceptic’s take on love and horoscopes, she is teamed up with Astrology guru, Carter. Clearly from opposite worlds, they put their competing perspectives aside to work the story around a local meteor shower festival. Through both fact and fate, they soon unearth that love really can be written in the stars.
- Southside with You – Chronicles the 1989 summer afternoon when the future President of the United States, Barack Obama, wooed his future First Lady, Michelle Obama, on a first date across Chicago’s South Side.
- Eve’s Bayou – What did little Eve see–and how will it haunt her? Husband, father and womanizer Louis Batiste is the head of an affluent family, but it’s the women who rule this gothic world of secrets, lies and mystic forces.
- Country Strong – A rising country-music songwriter works with a fallen star to work their way to fame, causing romantic complications along the way.
Roku is also adding two TV shows that will be free to stream on The Roku Channel:
- The Fear Index – A scientist-turned-wall street tycoon becomes the target of a plot to destroy the world’s financial markets.
- Hatfields And McCoys – Dramatization of the bitter blood feud between the two families on the West Virginia/Kentucky border in the years after the Civil War.
We’ll be back next month with all of the latest movies and shows on The Roku Channel.