RIM announced on Wednesday the impending release of the latest version of its BlackBerry Enterprise Server. BES 5.0 will offers a slew of new features that make the BlackBerry experience for enterprise users that much more pleasurable. Among the user-side benefits discussed:
- Retrieve corporate documents behind firewalls
- Add, read, rename and delete folders on the handset and have those changes be applied to the desktop email client
- Create rules within the inbox to filter email and have those changes be applied to the desktop
- View attachments in calendar entries and meeting requests
- Download and store emails and email attachments onto microSD cards
Over-the-air updates will also be easier for both administrators and users alike. We’ve been seeing and hearing about BES 5.0 forever so it’ll be nice to finally see it come to market, albeit about a million years behind schedule. We’ll surely see all of the details ironed out at WES so stay tuned, BES users.