You would think that, given the collective sense of excitement, coupled with the significant upgrades in features and functionality, T-Mobile would have launched their OS 4.2 update for the 8700g/8705g with a bit more fanfare. Alas, we don’t claim to understand the mind of a T-Mobile executive. Perhaps it had something to do with not wanting to cannibalize 8800 sales (yes, they still have the 8800 for sale). Whatever the case, the OS update is here, and it’s available for free download from the carrier’s site. At least T-Mobile is actually offering it, and for that, guys, we congratulate them. BlackBerry handheld OS 220.127.116.11 (note that this is slightly newer than the 18.104.22.168 version currently available for T-Mo’s 8800) is now available for all current 8700g/8705g customers. Sales reps are being instructed to educate curious customers on the virtues of the new OS update, and to point inquiring minds to http://www.t-mobile.com/bbupgrade. They are also being told to inform customers that this will render their 8700g “just like the Pearl!” Not the best way to prevent cannibalization, but good for us in the end. Check the full sales sheet below, and hit the link to get your 4.2 OS on!
BlackBerry 8700/8705 Software Upgrades
The new BlackBerry 8700/8705 Handheld Software Upgrade Version 22.214.171.124 is now available.
Customers with older versions of the BlackBerry 8700/8705 software can upgrade at T-Mobile.com for free.
The software upgrade includes a number of fixes:
· The new software includes the Daylight Savings Patch (DST2007).
· The device no longer encounter issues when attempting to roam internationally.
· The device no longer freezes with a spinning hourglass or reset unexpectedly.
· New platform upgrade to 4.2 just like the BlackBerry Pearl.
· The new software includes access to BlackBerry Maps.
· Lotus Notes calendar compatibility is now supported.
· Media (ring tones and pictures) file transfer using Bluetooth is now available.
· The addition of the media icon allows the customer to view ring tones and pictures.
Customers will need to re-download the Instant Messaging (IM) client if they use this application. To download the IM client, follow these steps:
· At Home screen, scroll to the Internet Browser icon and click the trackwheel.
· Expand Internet Browser Links. To expand, scroll to Internet Browser Links and click the trackwheel. Click Expand.
· Scroll to Install Instant Messaging and click the trackwheel.
· Click Get Link. The device will then download the IM application.
Customers should not be sent to T-Mobile stores for the software upgrade or for a handset exchange.
2. Inform customers how to download the IM application.