HTC’s chief executive officer Peter Chou recently said his company has already developed a solution to dodge an ITC injunction, which was issued after a ruling that found HTC guilty of infringing two of Apple’s patents. “It’s actually quite rarely used,” Chou said of the feature that violates Apple’s patents, suggesting that the company isn’t afraid of the ban that is set to take effect on April 19th. HTC issued a statement following the ITC’s decision and explained that the patent ” is a small UI experience and HTC will completely remove it from all of our phones soon.” In other words, don’t worry too much if you have your heart set on buying HTC’s upcoming Elite flagship device set to launch on AT&T early next year. More →
HTC may launch a new tablet next year that it hopes will be distinct in a growing sea of Android tablets, Reuters recently reported. HTC already has a number of Android-powered tablets on the market including the 7-inch Flyer (EVO View 4G on Sprint) and the AT&T Jetstream 4G. “[The] tablet is a market we would like to try and test, to see whether we can make ourselves stand out and prevent a me-too product,” HTC CEO Peter Chou said in a recent media briefing. The company could make itself stand-out a bit by being the first to market with an Ice Cream Sandwich device, possibly pre-loaded with HTC’s unique Sense UI. Its Flyer Android tablet was loaded with HTC’s Sense user interface but it launched with an earlier version of Android that was designed for smartphones, not tablets. Chou was not specific on when the new tablet might make its debut. More →
It may seem that Google’s other Android partners would be upset by the search giant’s decision to acquire Motorola for $12.5 billion but that’s apparently not the case. Execs from HTC, LG, Samsung and Sony Ericsson spoke in support of the purchase earlier on Monday, and now HTC has issued a second statement on the deal. “We are supportive of Google’s acquisition of Motorola Mobility as this is a positive development to the Android ecosystem, which we believe is beneficial to HTC’s promotion of Android phones,” an HTC spokesperson told BGR on Monday. “The partnership between HTC and Google remains strong and will not be affected by this acquisition.” HTC’s CEO Peter Chou said his company welcomes the acquisition and noted Google’s commitment to defending Android, its partners and the entire ecosystem. Google’s CEO Larry Page said that the acquisition will allow Google to “better protect Android from anti-competitive threats from Microsoft, Apple and other companies.”
Early Monday morning, Google announced that it will acquire Motorola for $12.5 billion. Google CEO Larry Page explained the acquisition will help bolster the tech giant’s patent portfolio and that his company will continue to “work with all [of its partners] to deliver outstanding user experiences.” While it may seem that Motorola will now have the upper hand in creating Android smartphones, execs from Samsung, Sony Ericsson, HTC, and LG have all issued statements in support of the acquisition. “We welcome today’s news, which demonstrates Google’s deep commitment to defending Android, its partners, and the ecosystem,” J.K. Shin, president of Samsung’s Mobile Communications division said. “I welcome Google’s commitment to defending Android and its partners,” Sony Ericsson president and CEO Bert Nordberg said. “We welcome the news of today’s acquisition, which demonstrates that Google is deeply committed to defending Android, its partners, and the entire ecosystem,” HTC’s CEO Peter Chou added. “We welcome Google’s commitment to defending Android and its partners,” LG’s president and CEO Jong-Seok Park said. The deal should certainly help Google defend Motorola, Samsung and HTC in their ongoing patent battles with Apple and other companies, though it remains to be seen how the acquisition might affect the Android ecosystem in the long run.
HTC announced on Wednesday that it will be making a “major news announcement” on Thursday at 11:30 a.m. Eastern Time. HTC’s chief executive officer Peter Chou will make the announcement during a live teleconference from Los Angeles. We’re not sure what the company has brewing but we’ll be on the call tomorrow morning so be sure to tune in to see what HTC has in store.
HTC chief executive Peter Chou on Tuesday said that the Taiwan-based smartphone vendor is scheduled to launch between six and eight new smartphone models this quarter. HTC continues to report record quarter after record quarter, and the onslaught of new handsets it is preparing for the fall season will give the vendor a great shot to top the record 12.1 million smartphones it shipped in the second quarter. The popular smartphone maker currently expects to ship 13.5 million handsets in the September quarter, its CEO says. Chou also stated that all of the devices HTC launches in the third quarter will be middle or high-end models, which will likely help the average selling price of HTC phones back up after it slid 2.8% in the second quarter. Taiwan Economic News notes that HTC’s third-quarter earnings per share is now projected to reach NT$22, while full-year EPS is expected to fall between NT$82 and NT$85. More →
HTC’s CEO Peter Chou spoke with investors recently and promised that its ongoing patent battles with Apple will not hurt the company. “Many lawsuits nowadays are results of being successful; it’s part of the business,” Chou said. “We will not bring the company to a dangerous position.” Earlier this month the United States International Trade Commission ruled that HTC was infringing on two of Apple’s patents related to a “system and method for performing an action on a structure in computer-generated data,” and a “real-time signal processing system for serially transmitted data.” In addition, the ITC ruled that Apple’s Mac OS X operating system is infringing on patents owned by S3, which HTC acquired on July 6th. The ruling against HTC could spell danger for Android makers, as the patents are believed to be largely important to the operating system. Google has said that it is standing behind HTC and its other Android partners, however, and it was revealed on Friday morning that it recently purchased 1,030 more patents to help it go to war with competitors. More →
In a quick statement just published on HTC’s Facebook page, HTC CEO Peter Chou said:
“There has been overwhelmingly customer feedback that people want access to open bootloaders on HTC phones. I want you to know that we’ve listened. Today, I’m confirming we will no longer be locking the bootloaders on our devices. Thanks for your passion, support and patience,” Peter Chou, CEO of HTC
For anyone out there that roots their devices to customize them, this is probably the best news you can get. Well, or stock Android devices from the beginning, we guess. More →
If there is a company that wants to jump into the netbook market and offer something unique and solid, it would be HTC. It has already produced some rock-solid handsets like the Hero, Eris, Touch Pro2 and HD2, so why not a netbook? HTC CEO Peter Chou mentioned that his company is still very much interested in building a netbook. We think that Mr. Chou may be onto something with the idea that HTC should put out something unique and not just another “me too” netbook. After all, it seems like the entire netbook market is one giant clone army. With the Nokia Booklet 3G coming very soon, HTC is probably thinking that if one major handset manufacturer can pull it off, why not take a crack at it? As long as HTC doesn’t bomb like it did with the Shift, we think it will be a hit. More →