Click to Skip Ad
Closing in...
  1. AirPods Pro Prime Day Deal
    11:46 Deals

    AirPods Pro are back in stock at Amazon after selling out – and they’re $52 off

  2. Amazon Deals
    07:57 Deals

    10 deals you don’t want to miss on Sunday: Rare Nest Thermostat deal, $6 Kasa smart plugs, Instant Pot accessories, more

  3. Early Prime Day Deals
    08:06 Deals

    10 incredible early Prime Day deals that are about to end at Amazon

  4. Best Prime Day TV Deals
    16:38 Deals

    Best Prime Day TV deals: Samsung, LG, Vizio, and more

  5. Amazon Deals
    10:32 Deals

    Today’s best deals: Free $15 Amazon credit, early Prime Day deals, first M1 iMac sale, $20 Blink cam, $600 projector for $300, more




Watch this recalled laptop set an entire room on fire

March 26th, 2018 at 7:32 PM
Laptop battery fire recall

Most of the electronic gadgets we use are powered by lithium-ion batteries, and very occasionally, those lithium-ion batteries can malfunction. When they do, they have a tendency to burn or explode, and the results can be catastrophic. Exhibit A: Security camera footage from a plastic fabrication company in Letchworth, England.

The video shows an HP Envy laptop catching fire when left on charge overnight, eventually burning down the owner’s entire office. As spotted by Motherboard, some models of HP Envy laptops are under recall by HP due to faulty batteries, which “have the potential to overheat, posing a fire and burn hazard to customers.”

Steve Paffett, the owner of the plastic fabrication company and also the laptop, told his local newspaper that he “was sat at that seat earlier that day and I swear it would have taken my face off or killed me.” He said he was woken up by the intruder alarm for his office, which was triggered by the fire. He logged onto the CCTV app and saw the fire, and called emergency services before running to the office and fighting the fire with extinguishers. By the time the firefighters arrived, the damage was done.

“The ground floor is ruined, all the stock is written off – luckily none of it caught fire, but it’s just covered in smoke – the whole building is filthy and reeks. The fire and ambulance crews were amazing and could not have done more under the circumstances. I’ve already been given a small insurance payment – just enough to continue to trade – but it’s not quite the same thing as being able to get on with your day,” Paffett told The Comet. 

 

 




Popular News