Twitter just pushed out a major update for its iOS application, which is a universal app compatible with the iPhone, iPad and iPod touch. Twitter 3.3 adds a variety of functionality, the most obvious and painful of which is the new “Quick Bar” that dangles ads and Bieber-ish Twitter trends atop the main timeline. It’s very unique and remarkably annoying. Twitter lists other changes as follows:
- Photos. Uploading photos is now easier than ever. There’s a camera button in the toolbar and we improved the image preview, so you can quickly choose a photo from your library or take a new picture.
- Follow your friends. Now you can find which of your friends are on Twitter that have chosen to be discoverable through the contacts on your phone.
- Local trends. See trends based on your location.
- Shorten links. When you want to share a link on Twitter, just paste it into the Tweet box and we’ll automatically shorten it.
- Tweet box design. We redesigned the “New Tweet” screen so it’s now cleaner and simpler.
- Autocomplete. When tweeting on-the-go, speed and accuracy are important. Autocomplete for @usernames and hashtags help you tweet faster
- Direct Messages. The new Direct Message conversation view helps you better keep track of messages.
Twitter 3.3 for iOS is available immediately and the app is still free. Head on over to the App Store to update and then have fun polling your friends in search of a less annoying third-party alternative. We like Tweetings, TweetList and Echofon.