Click to Skip Ad
Closing in...

Nokia exec: In patent wars, Google-Motorola deal won’t help Android at all

Updated 4 years ago
Published Sep 2nd, 2011 2:45PM EDT
BGR

Another patent expert weighed in on Google’s proposed $12.5 billion Motorola Mobility acquisition on Friday, and once again the deal is not seen as having the potential to stave off the flood of lawsuits targeting Android partners. In an interview with Finnish-language business magazine Talouselama published on Friday, Nokia’s chief of patent licensing Paul Melin went on record in stating that the potential deal will do precious little to help Google defend its mobile operating system against the likes of Apple and Microsoft. “There are tens of patent lawsuits ongoing against Android. As we have understood, acquiring Motorola won’t solve one of them,” Melin told the magazine. Earlier this week, patent expert David Martin of patent consulting firm M-Cam called the deal an immense mistake. “What they bought is crap, because at the end of the day Motorola sold off its good assets,” Martin said in an interview.

Read

Zach Epstein
Zach Epstein Executive Editor

Zach Epstein has been the Executive Editor at BGR for more than 10 years. He manages BGR’s editorial team and ensures that best practices are adhered to. He also oversees the Ecommerce team and directs the daily flow of all content.

Zach first joined BGR in 2007 as a Staff Writer covering business, technology, and entertainment. His work has been quoted by countless top news organizations, and he was recently named one of the world's top 10 “power mobile influencers” by Forbes. Prior to BGR, Zach worked as an executive in marketing and business development with two private telcos.