It finally happened:
More important than all that, Marvel didn’t delay any of its release dates for the MCU films planned for 2022 and 2023. Additionally, the company snuck a surprise into its announcement that almost went undetected. It turns out that Marvel has five movies in the works for 2022, but the fifth title has yet to be revealed.
The pandemic forced Marvel to delay and reshuffle its MCU plans more than once, and we ended up with an exciting release schedule for 2021 and 2022. We’ll get four films per year, in addition to all the TV shows hitting Disney+. But it looks like 2022 will include a fifth, unnamed title, according to the release schedule that
- July 9th: Black Widow
- September 3rd: Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings
- November 5th: Eternals
- December 17th: Spider-Man: No Way Home
- March 25th: Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness
- May 6th: Thor: Love and Thunder
- July 8th: Black Panther 2
- October 7th: UNTITLED MARVEL
- November 11th: Captain Marvel 2
- February 17th: UNTITLED MARVEL
- May 5th: UNTITLED MARVEL
- July 28th: UNTITLED MARVEL
- November 3rd: UNTITLED MARVEL
The only thing that sticks out is that October 7th, 2022, date, when an “Untitled Marvel” film is due to be released.
Marvel has already announced or confirmed several other MCU movies that are in development, including Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania, Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3, Fantastic Four, Deadpool 3, and the Blade reboot. These are five movies that could very well fit into the five “Untitled Marvel” slots listed above. Add to that the X-Men reboot, and Marvel might have additional surprises planned for the coming years.
A leak a few weeks ago gave us the tentative Marvel plans for 2023. Here’s a refresher:
- Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania — February 17th, 2023
- Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 — May 5th, 2023
- Fantastic Four — July 28th, 2023
- Deadpool — November 3rd, 2023
Of note, there’s nothing official to connect those release dates to each particular title. Even assuming this plan is accurate, it still doesn’t explain what sort of Phase 4 movie would land on October 7th, 2022. Maybe one of the four films above will get a 2022 release, in which case one of the 2023 slots would be freed up for something else.