AT&T announced the Impulse 4G on Wednesday, an Android 2.2 (Froyo) smartphone that will be available beginning on September 18th for just $29.99 with a new two-year contract. Despite its budget-friendly price, the Impulse 4G offers solid specs. It is equipped with a 5-megapixel camera capable of recording 720p video, Wi-Fi, GPS and a 3.8-inch touchscreen with a WVGA resolution. The Impulse 4G is Huawei’s first smartphone for AT&T, and Huawei’s U.S. president of devices Cui Jiangao said the company is committed to working with AT&T to offer more devices in the future. Read on for the full press release from AT&T.
Suffering from Smartphone Envy? Upgrade to Impulse 4G™ Without Breaking the Bank
Feature-rich Android smartphone available for $29.99 from AT&T
Working 9 to 5 during the summer season can make anyone reluctant to spend that hard-earned money. Now, smartphone customers can have a cutting edge smartphone at an exceptional value — the Impulse 4G™ from AT&T*.
- Beginning Sept. 18, the Impulse 4G will be available for $29.99 with a two-year contract through AT&T stores, online at att.com and through select national retailers.
- The Impulse 4G from AT&T offers unbeatable value for those wanting to take advantage of the capabilities of an Android™-powered smartphone at a lower cost. The Impulse makes it possible to surf the web, watch videos, check emails and stay engaged with social media from a phone at an affordable price.
- Impulse 4G includes a 3.8” touchscreen and the ability to record HD video.
Appearing in AT&T TV spots starting Sept. 18 and notably AT&T’s first smartphone from Huawei, the Impulse 4G doesn’t skimp on features despite its unbeatable value. Running the Android 2.2 platform and sporting HD video recording, a full touch screen and 5-megapixel camera, Impulse 4G meets mobile needs and can be paired with a Data Plus plan, with 200 MB of data for just $15 dollars.
Device Specs and Key Features
- 3.8” Capacitive WVGA Touchscreen
- Operating System: Android 2.2
- 5MP Camera with auto-focus, flash, and 720p HD video record
- Wi-Fi with access to AT&T’s Hotspots
- GPS Navigation
- Dimensions: 120mm x 65mm x 11.6mm
“Smartphone sales are exploding as consumers realize the value of having the Internet and a wide array of apps available at their fingertips,” said Avi Greengart, Research Director for Consumer Devices at Current Analysis. “However, the economy is challenging, and some consumers simply can’t afford a flagship smartphone. The Huawei Impulse 4G from AT&T is priced like a budget smartphone but brings a much larger display and higher resolution video recording than other Android phones at this price point.”
“These days we’re all looking for ways to get the most for our money and the Impulse 4G from AT&T does exactly that,” said Jeff Bradley, senior vice president, Devices, AT&T Mobility and Consumer Markets. “The Impulse 4G gives consumers another option to enjoy the benefits of a smartphone at an exceptional value.”
“This is an important milestone for Huawei,” said Cui Jiangao, President of Huawei Device USA. “As we introduce our first smart phone for AT&T, we believe the Impulse 4G will allow consumers to experience the best of AT&T’s applications. We are committed to working with AT&T to create influential devices that will provide user-friendly mobile experiences.”