Verizon Wireless on Tuesday finally confirmed launch details for the latest addition to its popular DROID family of Android smartphones, the Motorola DROID 4. The sleek QWERTY slider will become available later this week on February 10th for $199.99 on contract, as BGR reported earlier on Tuesday. The DROID 4 features a dual-core 1.2GHz processor and is being billed as the “thinnest and most powerful 4G QWERTY smartphone.” Other highlights include Android 2.3.5 Gingerbread, an 8-megapixel camera, a 4-inch qHD display and the promise of an upgrade to Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich. The DROID 4 is essentially an updated version of the DROID RAZR, with its QWERTY keyboard seen as only notable difference between the two devices. This makes the DROID 4 the third iteration of the device in as many months, following the recent release of the DROID RAZR Maxx. Verizon Wireless’s press release follows below.
DROID 4 BY MOTOROLA READY TO WORK AND PLAY ON THE VERIZON WIRELESS 4G LTE NETWORK
Power, Speed and Reliability Get the Job Done
BASKING RIDGE, N.J. – The award winning DROID 4 by Motorola will be available to handle even the most demanding lifestyles starting Feb. 10 in Verizon Wireless Communications Stores and online at http://www.verizonwireless.com. Introduced at this year’s Consumer Electronics Show (CES), the DROID 4 is the thinnest and most powerful 4G QWERTY smartphone measuring at less than half an inch thin. DROID 4 not only features a dual-core 1.2 GHz processor, but also a five-row QWERTY keyboard with a PC-like layout and edge-lit keys for fast, precise typing, even in the dark. Powered by America’s fastest, most reliable 4G network, DROID 4 customers will have access to 4G LTE coverage in 195 markets covering more than 200 million people.
- Verizon Wireless 4G LTE – Customers can expect fast download speeds of 5 to 12 megabits per second (Mbps) and upload speeds of 2 to 5 Mbps in 4G LTE Mobile Broadband coverage areas
- Android™ 2.3.5 Gingerbread, to be upgraded to Android™ 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich
- 4.0-inch qHD display with scratch and scrape resistant glass
- Government-grade encryption (FIPS 140-2) for email, calendar and contacts; preloaded with Citrix® Receiver™ for Android (available in webtop) for desktop virtualization and access
- 8-megapixel camera with 1080p HD video capture
- Front-facing camera for video chat
- 4G LTE Mobile Hotspot supporting up to eight Wi-Fi-enabled devices
DROID 4 is designed to help customers get more done. Business professionals can impress their audience by presenting to a conference room full of potential customers in a snap by plugging the DROID 4 into an HDTV and presenting directly from the phone. Professionals can also combine the DROID 4 with the Lapdock 500 and its 14-inch display to create a full-featured mobile office. They can download documents, make edits using Lapdock’s full keyboard and email the updated documents to colleagues or customers. The Lapdock even features a built-in webcam so customers can attend virtual meetings and manage their business face-to-face.
The Smart Actions app on the DROID 4 helps automate everyday tasks and optimizes battery efficiency by letting customers create rules, such as automatically setting the phone to vibrate during work hours or dimming the display at a specific battery level.
Business professionals can leave their laptops behind and use the MotoCast™ app to remotely stream documents, videos, music and pictures from their work or home computers to their handset. The remote access of MotoCast eliminates the need to store documents on the handset as everything is stored on their office laptop.
Pricing and availability
· DROID 4 by Motorola will be available on Feb. 10 in Verizon Wireless Communications Stores and online at http://www.verizonwireless.com for $199.99 with a new two-year customer agreement.
· The Lapdock 500 is available in Verizon Wireless Communications Stores and online for $299.97.
· Customers that purchase a DROID 4 will need to subscribe to a Verizon Wireless Nationwide Talk plan beginning at $39.99 monthly access and a smartphone data package starting at $30 monthly access for 2 GB of data.
For more information on Verizon Wireless products and services, visit a Verizon Wireless Communications Store, call 1-800-2 JOIN IN or go to www.verizonwireless.com. Follow @VZWnews on Twitter for the latest news on Verizon Wireless.