What if I told you that solitaire needed a reboot? You’d probably call me crazy, but then I’d know that you hadn’t given Sage Solitaire a chance yet. Sage Solitaire is the latest game from legendary iOS game designer Zach Gage, whom you might know from SpellTower, one of the best word games to ever appear on mobile devices.
And did I mention it’s free? Because Sage Solitaire is free.
Here’s how this remixed version of solitaire works:
- In Single Deck mode, you’re dealt nine stacks of cards, constituting an entire deck.
- Your goal is to clear those cards by making hands: pairs, straights, flushes — basically everything you know from poker.
- The catch is that you have to use cards from at least two different rows to make a hand.
- If you can’t make a hand, you can trash a card — the card below it will then spring to the top of the pile.
- Once you run out of moves, the game ends and you’re awarded a score.
It’s simple, it plays quick and you probably won’t be able to put your iPhone down for the first hour after you download it. Plus, if you really find yourself enjoying it, you can pay $2.99 to unlock the full game, which includes Double Deck mode and Fifteens mode, as well as wallpapers, card backs, stat tracking and leaderboards.
Before you leave your home this weekend, download Sage Solitaire. It’s worth the megabytes.