Android fans, it’s time to breathe a sigh of relief. The long wait is almost over and Samsung’s next-generation flagship phones, the Galaxy S6 and Galaxy S6 edge, finally have an official release date: April 10th. And what a day the 10th is going to be, with three flagship smartphones set to be released (Samsung’s two S6 models and the HTC One M9) and Apple Watch pre-orders slated to open up as well.
Where Samsung’s Galaxy S6 and S6 edge are concerned, this post has everything you need to know… well, almost everything — there’s still one big piece missing from the puzzle.
Samsung on Thursday announced official launch details for the new Galaxy S6 and its counterpart, the Galaxy S6 edge. The phones will both become available online and in stores on Friday, April 10th.
The Galaxy S6 and S6 edge will both be available for purchase from Verizon Wireless, AT&T, Sprint, T-Mobile and U.S. Cellular, with Best Buy, Amazon and Walmart also listed as retail partners, among others. Additionally, Boost Mobile, Cricket Wireless and MetroPCS will carry the Galaxy S6 but not the S6 edge.
Pre-orders for both models will open tomorrow, March 27th.
The big question mark is how much the new phones will cost. Samsung is leaving it up to its partners to announce pricing, of course, and now that launch details are official, carrier announcements should come out this morning in rapid succession.
In the meantime, here are Galaxy S6 and Galaxy S6 edge highlights from Samsung’s press release:
- Premium Materials: A unibody design blends beauty and durability, featuring Corning® Gorilla Glass® 4 and an aluminum frame so it’s durable enough to withstand everyday life.
- Advanced Camera: Intuitive front- and rear-facing cameras allow consumers to snap high-quality photos, no matter the lighting situation, and quickly capture any moment, anywhere.
- Battery Management: Power management essentials create peace of mind for users so there is no need to worry about battery life. With built-in wireless charging, users can quickly and conveniently charge their phone on almost any wireless charging platform (charging pad sold separately). Fast Charging gives users up to four hours of battery life with a 10 minute charge and a 50 percent charge in about half an hour. Ultra Power Saving Mode affords users up to 24 hours of talk and text time when the battery is at 10 percent3.
- Advanced Technology: Equipped with an advanced processor and display, the Galaxy S 6 and Galaxy S 6 edge elevate productivity and deliver an exceptional entertainment experience.
- Business-Ready: With Samsung KNOX, the Galaxy S 6 and Galaxy S 6 edge are secure and protected right out of the box. With wide support for MDM partners and KNOX enhancements enabled at launch, IT administrators can simplify deployment and device management.
- Dual Edge: The Galaxy S 6 edge breaks the traditional conventions of smartphone design to deliver the world’s first dual-edge smartphone. The edge display adds features unique to the curved design, including People Edge and information tickers so users can easily and discreetly view news updates and messaging notifications.
- Samsung’s Milk Services: Both the Galaxy S 6 and Galaxy S 6 edge will come preloaded on select carriers* with Samsung’s streaming entertainment apps, Milk MusicTM, powered by Slacker, and Milk VideoTM.
- Samsung Pay: Samsung Pay will be available this summer on both devices, a secure and easy-to-use mobile payment service that leverages both Near Field Communication (NFC) and a new proprietary technology called Magnetic Secure Transmission (MST) to make mobile payments more accessible to both merchants and consumers.