And so the cat and mouse game continues — Palm found a loop hole that would allow it to provide Pre iTunes syncing out of the box… Apple said it would plug the hole… Palm said go for it, big guy… Apple plugged the hole… Palm found a new hole and re-enabled iTunes syncing with last night’s webOS 1.1 release. Can anyone guess what will happen next? Now worries though, as webOS 1.1 brings with it plenty of new features and functionality beyond iTunes syncing, such as several additions to Exchange support including remote wipe, PIN/password requirements, inactivity timeout, improved certificate handling, and more. Beyond that, a bevy of undocumented changes were outed last night as well. Hit the jump for the full list.
- Changed sound for notifications – You still can’t change them yourself, but the new sound is much richer, if a little quieter
- Animated drop down menus – they look really slick and really change the experience. The Context menus also have some nice animation.
- Lots of Photo app improvements. A more distinct bar between all photos and your albums in the photo app, plus they’re calling the Screenshot album “Screen Captures.” The preview thumbs also slide in from the right. Faster photo rendering. Overall the Photos app feels much more fully baked.
- Emailing Memos – The memo app now has a menu option to email a memo.
- A new font for the Browser – uses Palm’s system font and, truly, it looks fantastic.
- Disabled the key combo in browser to open in a new card. Boo-urns.
- Better Gmail handling – not failing when you tap on a notification for an email you’d already archived on the desktop
- A new icon for AIM
- More auto-complete / auto correct entries in the dictionary.
- With the slider open, the Center button now turns on the screen, where as before you had to hit a keyboard key or the power button.
So, Pre fans, definitely hit the updater if you haven’t already and enjoy the new features above along with iTunes sync — at least until Apple kills it again.