Click to Skip Ad
Closing in...
  1. Amazon Deals
    07:59 Deals

    10 deals you don’t want to miss on Sunday: Free $25 Amazon credit, $230 Windows 10 l…

  2. Fire TV Stick Prime Day Deal
    15:07 Deals

    Oops! Did Amazon’s $18 Fire TV Stick Lite deal just show up early?

  3. Prime Day Deals
    11:01 Deals

    Check these early Prime Day deals with prices so low, it’s like Amazon made a mistak…

  4. Govee Immersion
    03:00 Deals

    Govee’s Prime Day deals need to be seen to be believed

  5. Mattress Topper Amazon
    14:44 Deals

    33,000 Amazon shoppers say this mattress topper deserves 5 stars – today it’s…




Nokia to Up Symbian Stake to 100%, Then Open it Up

Zach Epstein
June 24th, 2008 at 11:53 AM

Oooooh Android. Things are not going well for you lately. First the Wall Street Journal reports that your release has been delayed and now Symbian, the most popular Smartphone Operating System in the world, will be opening up. Open?!? That was totally your thing! Well maybe not It’s ok, don’t worry; you’ve still got the Google juice going for you. Nokia has made a few major announcements this morning with regards to the heavyweight title holder that is Symbian. First and foremost, 48% ownership is not going to cut it anymore. Nokia will soon pony up €264 million ($412 million at today’s exchange rate) for the remaining 52% of Symbian to become the sole owner. Then what? Nokia has also announced the formation of a new organization: the Symbian Foundation. Foundation members currently include AT&T (huh?), LG Electronics, Motorola, NTT DOCOMO, Samsung, Sony Ericsson, STMicroelectronics, Texas Instruments, Vodafone, and more. The foundation will be the backbone of efforts with regards to creating “the most proven, open and complete mobile software platform – available for free”. The acquisition of Symbian is expected to be completed in Q4 of this year and it will likely be at least another year or so before we see the tree bear some fruit. We can’t wait.

Read

Zach Epstein

Zach Epstein has worked in and around ICT for more than 15 years, first in marketing and business development with two private telcos, then as a writer and editor covering business news, consumer electronics and telecommunications. Zach’s work has been quoted by countless top news publications in the US and around the world. He was also recently named one of the world's top-10 “power mobile influencers” by Forbes, as well as one of Inc. Magazine's top-30 Internet of Things experts.




Popular News