This past October, Google released a new email app that had all the makings of a winner. Called Inbox, the app offered a somewhat fresh new take on email management that looked to help users combat email fatigue. Inbox only notifies users when important emails arrive, never when things like newsletters or promotional emails hit the Inbox, and it also includes snoozes and other features from rival offerings like Dropbox’s Mailbox app.
Now, a new update issued by Google on Thursday adds one important new feature that many users were sorely missing.
When Inbox was first released, it had some serious limitations. For one thing, the app was only available to users you could manage to get an invitation. Google users with Google Apps accounts also couldn’t use Inbox. Both of these limitations are still in place, though securing an invitation is quite easy now.
As for platforms, the app was available on Android, iPhone and in web browsers, but not on the iPad. Now, thankfully, that barrier has been lifted.
Google on Thursday morning released Inbox version 1.2 for iOS. The official change log lists only “bug fixes and performance improvements,” but another key feature can also be found: Inbox is now a universal iOS app that works on iPhones and iPads alike.
Here’s the app’s full description from the App Store:
Inbox by Gmail requires an invite. Email firstname.lastname@example.org to request one.
Your email inbox should help you live and work better, but instead it often buries the important stuff and creates more stress than it relieves. Inbox, built by the Gmail team, keeps things organized and helps you get back to what matters.
• BUNDLES – Similar messages are bundled together so you can deal with them all at once. And get rid of them with one tap.
• HIGHLIGHTS – Get the most important information without even opening the message. Check-in for flights, see shipping information for purchases, and view photos from friends right up front.
• REMINDERS: More than mail, you can add Reminders so your inbox contains all the things you need to get back to.
• SNOOZE: Snooze emails and Reminders to come back when you are ready to deal with them: next week, when you get home, or whenever you choose.
• SEARCH: Inbox helps you find exactly what you’re looking for— from your upcoming flight to a friend’s address— without having to dig through messages.
• WORKS WITH GMAIL: Inbox is built by the Gmail team, so all your messages from Gmail are here, along with the reliability and spam protection of Gmail. All of your messages are still in Gmail and always will be.