For us to say that RIM has a good track record when it comes to pushing out desktop software would be something of a lie, but over the past few months things have gotten steadily better (it was only two months ago BlackBerry Desktop Manager for Mac was finally released). The latest software to be released is an update to BlackBerry Media Sync. Now in its third incarnation, BlackBerry Media Sync 3.0 doesn’t exactly offer much in the way of new features save for one thing that should have been included all along: 2-way synching of photos for PC users. Here’s what else has changed:
PC to BlackBerry sync:
• Add folders for syncing with option to optimize pictures for device
• Smart memory management: optimizes photo size, allowing for storage of more pictures on device
BlackBerry to PC Import:
• Media Sync alerts users when new pictures are available to import when device is connected to PC (via pop-up on the pictures tab)
Highlights of Music sync with BlackBerry Media Sync:
• Sync Options include specific playlists or random music
• iTunes & Windows Media Player compatible
• Supports all media capable BlackBerry smartphones
We’ve been messing around with an advanced copy of the software for the past few days and have only two bite-sized thoughts to share: syncing pictures is incredibly slow, but everything else is noticeably faster.
Want to grab the update? BlackBerry Media Sync 3.0 will be available today at noon EST from http://www.blackberry.com/mediasync. Just make sure that you’re running Windows XP SP2 or OS X 10.5.5 or later.