The world is loaded with terrific messaging apps but Facebook thinks it’s found a way to make its own Facebook Messenger stand out from the crowd. Facebook on Tuesday announced that it’s going to soon start rolling out a new feature for Messenger that it hopes will let friends quickly send money to one another.
As Facebook explains it, here is how you’ll send and receive money over Facebook Messenger:
To send money:
- Start a message with a friend
- Tap the $ icon and enter the amount you want to send
- Tap Pay in the top right and add your debit card to send money
To receive money:
- Open the conversation from your friend
- Tap Add Card in the message and add your debit card to accept money for the first time
You may be worried about how secure this is but Facebook says it has you covered. All communications made on Facebook Messenger are encrypted, as is the credit card information you send to Facebook to store on your account. iPhone users can also use Touch ID to add an extra layer of security and of course you can create your own PIN to ensure that no one but you is sending money through the app.
Check out a short video Facebook made showing Messenger’s money-sending powers in action below.