Google’s Project Ara smartphones are not yet widely available, and neither are any other similar devices from the competition. But it’s more than apparent that some users are interested in such features from mobile devices. However, rather than making a new modular phone concept, one company has conceived a different kind of device that can offer the same sort of module-based experience to existing smartphones, including the iPhone.
Each Nexpaq case has a built-in battery that offers up to 1,000 mAh of additional extra juice, and it powers modules as well.
As for module choices, the company says there are 12 modules currently available, including a battery, amplified speaker, LED flashlight, SD card reader, temperature, humidity and air quality sensors, USB flash memory module, backup hard drive, hotkeys, Breathalyzer and laser pointer.
The cheapest Nexpaq case costs $89 on Kickstarter. It includes four modules and should ship in January next year, assuming the product is fully funded.
A video further explaining the concept, and the full press release follow below.
nexpaq: The world’s first modular smartphone case
The case of interchanging, multi-functional modules, aims for $50,000 on Kickstarter
April 29, 2015 – Los Angeles, CA – nexpaq is a new type of smartphone case with physical interchangeable modules that offer a host of customizable enhancements, including Extended Battery life, USB and Thermometer. nexpaq offers full module compatibility between different iOS and Android smartphones, works across multiple generations of phones, and supports up to six modules at any given time.
There are 12 different modules available at launch, and with its open platform this is just the beginning. nexpaq is setting out to build a community where developers can create their own innovations, and is looking forward to the future of nexpaq being shaped by these budding creators. With the upcoming hardware app store, a database of resources, a physical toolkit and an API designed to make creating your own module as simple as possible – the possibilities to truly customize your phone will be endless.
All current nexpaq modules work in conjunction with a companion app, which will update as you slot in a module, making transitions between functions simple.
Creator Hubertus Wasmer explains, “Every time a new phone is launched, we question the capability of our current models. With nexpaq, we have the ability to expand the lifespan of our phones, switch functions with friends, and finally create a phone that is bespoke to an individual’s needs and desires. We are really excited to be bringing all these functions to the Kickstarter community, and we can’t wait to see what module suggestions they come up with!”
Current modules that nexpaq will offer once funded will be:
· Extended Battery Life – a must-have for those on the go
· Breathalyzer – exhale into the module to test your sobriety
· Amplified Speaker – great for enhancing your audio experience
· USB Flash Drive – extra memory when you need it most
· Air Quality Gauge – check for potentially harmful gasses around you and stay safe
· Hotkeys – more shortcuts, more accessibility, more convenience
· Laser – great for meetings and presentations
· Dummy – to fill in empty slots
· Backup – no cards to slide in and out, simply save information to this 64GB hard drive
· SD Card – download more items to your phone and access them right away via any SD card
· Super LED Flashlight – help you to see in the dark and take great pictures
· Thermometer – get your temperature and humidity reading
nexpaq is available on Kickstarter starting at $89.