Cobra Kai, the fan-favorite and now 5-season hit Netflix series that’s currently dominating the Netflix Top 10 worldwide, has reinvigorated so much interest in the Karate Kid universe that — one week after Season 5 of Cobra Kai dropped on Netflix, to rave reviews — Sony took the opportunity to announce that an all-new Karate Kid movie is coming, in 2024.
The one is not directly connected to the other, at least according to a tweet from Cobra Kai co-creator Jon Hurwitz. Still, given how insanely popular Cobra Kai has become (the new season currently has a 100% score on Rotten Tomatoes), it’s hard to imagine a world without the show where Sony would be diving back into the Karate Kid franchise. Moreover, the recently released fifth season of the show can also lay claim to a noteworthy distinction:
It’s currently the biggest Netflix show in the world.
Netflix Top 10 (September 12-18)
That’s according to the latest batch of Netflix Top 10 chart data, which the streamer updated on Tuesday, September 20 as it does on a once-a-week basis.
— Yuji Okumoto (@YujiOkumoto) September 20, 2022
The fifth season of Cobra Kai, which hit Netflix on September 9, racked up 95.5 million hours viewed on Netflix for the 7-day period that ended on September 18, according to the streamer’s data. For some context, that’s about double what the #2 TV show worldwide garnered on Netflix during the same period (It was Fate: The Winx Saga Season 2, with 48.9 million hours viewed).
But it doesn’t stop there. This week, Cobra Kai Season 5 is also a Netflix Top 10 show in a whopping 83 countries around the world.
In addition to Cobra Kai, meanwhile, here’s a look at the rest of the most-watched Netflix series on the streamer this week, globally.
- Cobra Kai: Season 5 — 95.5 million hours viewed
- Fate: The Winx Saga: Season 2 — 48.9 million hours viewed
- The Crown: Season 1 — 40.7 million hours viewed
- The Imperfects — 35 million hours viewed
- Devil in Ohio — 29.3 million hours viewed
- Sins of Our Mother — 24.3 million hours viewed
- The Crown: Season 2 — 16.6 million hours viewed
- Love is Blind: Season 2 — 14.3 million hours viewed
- Stranger Things 4 — 13.4 million hours viewed
- The Sandman — 12.2 million hours viewed
More Netflix coverage: The 35 best movies on Netflix right now (September 2022)