Samsung on Friday afternoon (Korea time) issued the Galaxy Note 7 recall that many expected following the battery-related explosions that made the news in the past few days. Earlier this week, Samsung halted shipments in its home country, and then reports emerged saying the tech giant was considering a recall, at least for Korea. Other reports said that the Chinese and European launches, scheduled for this weekend, will proceed as plan. In the meantime, Samsung decided to recall the handset globally, and postpone launches in other markets. That means you should consider returning the product if you’ve bought one early on.
The company confirmed that there’s a battery cell issue with the phone and that there are at least 35 confirmed cases around the world. The company said that it will voluntarily replace all the Galaxy Note 7 units with new ones in the coming weeks. Here’s the full statement:
Samsung is committed to producing the highest quality products and we take every incident report from our valued customers very seriously. In response to recently reported cases of the new Galaxy Note7, we conducted a thorough investigation and found a battery cell issue.
To date (as of September 1) there have been 35 cases that have been reported globally and we are currently conducting a thorough inspection with our suppliers to identify possible affected batteries in the market. However, because our customers’ safety is an absolute priority at Samsung, we have stopped sales of the Galaxy Note7.
For customers who already have Galaxy Note7 devices, we will voluntarily replace their current device with a new one over the coming weeks.
We acknowledge the inconvenience this may cause in the market but this is to ensure that Samsung continues to deliver the highest quality products to our customers. We are working closely with our partners to ensure the replacement experience is as convenient and efficient as possible.