Ever since it launched in 2013, Google’s Chromecast has been one of the best possible accessories for any TV owner. Last week, it got even better with the introduction of the Chromecast Preview Program, which Google describes as “a user opt-in channel that updates your Chromecast device with the latest version of Chromecast’s firmware before it is made broadly available.”
In other words, if you opt in to this program, you can see new features on your device before they’re released to the general public. Google specifically says that these will not be “beta” releases, but rather production version updates.
Here’s how you can sign up for the program right now:
- From your Android or iOS device, open the Google Cast app.
- Tap the DEVICES tab to see your available Chromecast devices.
- Scroll to find the device card for the Chromecast you’d like to enroll in the Preview Program.
- In the top right corner of the device card, tap the device card menu.
- Tap Device Settings.
- Tap Preview Program. If you don’t see Preview Program, we aren’t accepting new members at this time. Please continue to check back as opportunities become available.
- Choose whether to receive email notifications by moving the slider to the right or left. Note: We recommend allowing email notifications so you’ll know when new updates are pushed to your Chromecast device.
- If you opt-in to email notifications, you’ll be asked to sign into your Google account if you haven’t already.
- Review the contents of that page, and tap Join Program.
- Review the contents of the page, then tap OK, GOT IT.
No updates have been released for the Preview Program since it launched last week, but that should change before the end of the year.