- Cable internet providers have been overcharging us for years with overpriced service and bogus fees, but what you might not realize is that there’s a way to eliminate one of the heftiest added fees you’re charged each month.
- Simply buy your own cable modem, activate it, and return your cable company’s model to save $10 per month, or $120 per year, in modem rental fees.
- Visit BGR’s homepage for more stories.
Like you, we have hated cable companies pretty much since we first starting paying for cable TV and internet. Things have gotten marginally better in recent years with some companies, but they still charge insane fees and provide unreliable service as well has pitiful customer service. Since we hate them, it’s only right that they hate us in return and nothing will make them hate us more than sharing this nifty little secret with our readers: you’re paying $120 per year in fees that you don’t have to pay!
All you have to do is get your own cable modem, like the $70 Motorola MB7420 16×4 Cable Modem that’s currently on sale on Amazon for just $58.99. Connect it, follow the instructions in the box to activate it with your ISP, and then send back the cable modem you’re using right now. Voilà… you just got rid of a $10 monthly fee on your bill and stole $120 per year right out of your cable company’s pocket!
Here’s more info from the product page on Amazon:
- This 16×4 DOCSIS 3.0 cable modem provides speeds up to 686 Mbps, sixteen times faster than DOCSIS 2.0. A Full-Band Capture digital tuner ensures a faster, more reliable Internet.
- Cable modem’s Ethernet port connects to a computer, HDTV, game station, or wireless router. (This Model MB7420 cable modem does NOT have a built-in wireless router and does NOT have a telephone adapter or phone jack. The Motorola MG7310, MG7315, MG7540 and MG7550 have a built-in wireless router.)
- Requires cable Internet service. Certified by Comcast XFINITY for residential speeds up to Extreme 300, by Comcast Business for speeds up to Deluxe 250, Time Warner Cable, Cox, Charter Spectrum, BrightHouse, and other leading cable service providers for modem ownership programs that typically save rental charges of $120 or more per year
- Setup is fast and easy with a few quick steps set out in a Quick Start guide. Experienced USA-based customer support specialists are there to help if you need them.
- Attractive, compact design minimizes shelf space, improves cooling, and extends product life while looking great in any home or office. A two-year warranty plus rugged lightning and power surge circuits protect your investment.
More of today’s best deals
Follow @BGRDeals on Twitter to keep up with the latest and greatest deals we find around the web. Prices subject to change without notice and any coupons mentioned above may be available in limited supply. BGR may receive a commission on orders placed through this article, and the retailer may receive certain auditable data for accounting purposes.