Cable companies want to keep modem rental fees a secret since it’s basically free money for them, but we refuse to play along. Unless you purchase your own cable modem, you have to pay a monthly fee forever to use the modem from your ISP. That’s right, forever. Imagine leasing a car but just having to pay the same amount every single month indefinitely. It’s ridiculous, and we’re putting a stop to it right now. The NETGEAR CM400 (8×4) DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem works with every major cable-based ISP such as Comcast, Time Warner Cable/Spectrum, Cox, and plenty more. It supports download speeds up to 343Mbps which is likely faster than your home internet service, and it’ll save you between $8 and $10 per month as soon as you activate it and return your old rented modem.
Speaking of saving, the modem costs $44.99 on Amazon but you’ll also find a $5 coupon right on the page, dropping the price to just $39.99.
Here are some highlights from the product page:
- Support Cable Internet Service plans up to 100 Mbps. Separate router required for WiFi.
- DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem with 1 Gigabit Ethernet port. DOCSIS 3.0 up to 8x faster download speeds than DOCSIS 2.0
- ELIMINTE MONTHLY CABLE MODEM RENTAL FEES – Up to $120 per year
- Not compatible with: Verizon, AT&T, or CenturyLink. Not compatible with bundled voice services
- Compatible with Xfinity from Comcast, Spectrum, Cox, CableONE & more
Follow @BGRDeals on Twitter to keep up with the latest and greatest deals from around the web. Quantities may be limited. Prices are subject to change without notice and coupons may expire at any time. Some deals may not be available to all customers. BGR may receive a commission on orders placed through this article.