The second-generation Kwikset Kevo lock is still our favorite all-around smart lock, but there’s a new option in town that gives it a run for its money. It’s also from Kwikset, and it’s called the Kwikset Obsidian Keyless Electronic Touchscreen Smart Lock. The most annoying thing about smart locks is the fact that you can’t really rely on them enough to completely stop carrying a physical key. Sometimes they just stop working for no discernible reason, and you need to go to your key as backup. Well, that’s not the case with the Obsidian lock. You can control it from your smartphone or you can enter your PIN code on the touchscreen to unlock the door… and that’s it. There’s no keyhole at all, which is awesome! What happens if the battery dies, you ask? Simple — there are two contacts on the bottom of the lock. Just touch a 9 volt battery to them and you’ll be able to enter your PIN to unlock the door.
Here are some more highlights from the product page:
- Modern Design – Sleek, low-profile design with a glass-like surface
- Keyless Convenience – Enter your home with user codes instead of having to carry keys
- User Codes – Up to 16 customizable user codes and master code option for increased security
- SecureScreen – Patented technology to help prevent code detection from fingerprints on the touchscreen
- 9V Backup Power – Use a 9V battery as backup power in case the batteries run out
- Low Battery Alerts – Audible beep and visual flash when batteries are low
- One-touch Locking – Dedicated button to easily lock your door
- Code Alarm – Alarm sounds after 3 incorrect codes are consecutively entered and the screen temporarily locks out
- Easy to install – Fits standard residential exterior doors with door thickness between 1-3/8 and 2 inches
Follow @BGRDeals on Twitter to keep up with the latest and greatest deals from around the web. Quantities may be limited. Prices are subject to change without notice and coupons may expire at any time. Some deals may not be available to all customers. BGR may receive a commission on orders placed through this article.