Welcome to the post-Galaxy Note 7 world, where every exploding smartphone instantly makes the news. An iPhone 7 owner appears to be the latest victim, claiming that he left his iPhone 7 in his car and came back to find the vehicle filled with smoke with the interior badly burned. While the cause of the fire hasn’t yet been confirmed by officials, photos from the scene show that the fire indeed destroyed the interior of the car.
Australian surfing instructor Mat Jones says that he left his week-old iPhone 7 under a pair of pants in his car while he went out to give a lesson. When he came back from surfing, he says the windows of his car were completely black. When he opened his door, he immediately felt a wave of heat as smoke escaped from the car.
Jones says he bought the new iPhone 7 just one week ago, and he claims that he has not dropped it or used any third-party chargers to recharge the device. While this is obviously no indication of any sort of widespread problem, similar incidents often occur after a phone suffers some type of trauma.
According to a report from local news station 7 News, the man says he has no doubt that the iPhone was the source of the fire. “Ash was just coming from inside the pants which then, once you wrapped open the pants, the phone was just melting inside of it,” Jones told 7 News. Apple confirmed that the company is in touch with Jones and is looking into the incident.