Samsung this week revealed what caused the Galaxy Note 7 explosions that eventually led to a global recall, saying that one of the immediate side effects of the battery disaster is the Galaxy S8’s launch delay. The phone was expected to arrive at MWC in Spain for a public debut, but Samsung may only show it behind closed doors to partners attending the show. Now, a new rumor claims the phone will be unveiled in late March, and will be promoted by a “record breaking marketing campaign” following its release.
According to Italian gadget leaker @Ricciolo1, Samsung is planning a multi-city Galaxy S8 event. The American and European cities where Samsung will supposedly host its first Unpacked event of the year were not revealed, but previous rumors did say the phone will be announced in New York.
The same leaker mentions a March 29th announcement date for the phone, a date he offered a few days ago as well.
— Ricciolo (@Ricciolo1) January 16, 2017
However, he did not say when the phone would hit stores.
A Forbes report said earlier this week that the Galaxy S8 will be the first phone to launch with a 10nm Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 chip inside. Competing devices will not get the phone until April, according to that report.
“The Snapdragon 835 won’t be available in large quantities until after the Galaxy S8 launches,” the news site’s unnamed source said, explaining that the Galaxy S8 might be released on April 14th in South Korea. This particular release window fits well with a March 29th media event.
That said, Samsung is yet to confirm any Galaxy S8 launch details.