Samsung came out on Friday with a brief press statement on the Galaxy S7 family meant to reassure owners and potential buyers. The announcement comes after a few reports detailed cases where Galaxy S7 versions exploded or caught fire, reminding people of Samsung’s massive Galaxy Note 7 recall.
“Samsung stands behind the quality and safety of the Galaxy S7 family,” Samsung said. “There have been no confirmed cases of internal battery failures with these devices among the more than 10 million devices being used by consumers in the United States; however, we have confirmed a number of instances caused by severe external damage. Until Samsung is able to obtain and examine any device, it is impossible to determine the true cause of any incident.”
The fact that Samsung had to release this statement suggests there may be people worried about the phone’s quality, and that’s something Samsung can’t afford right now. The Galaxy Note 7 already delivered a crippling blow to Samsung’s mobile unit, and the Galaxy S7 is all that remains for Samsung to sell this holiday season, at least when it comes to flagship devices.
Even without a Samsung remark on the matter, we’d tell you that there’s probably nothing wrong with the Galaxy S7 series. Phone malfunction and the list of issues includes battery issues. As the Galaxy Note 7 debacle taught us, if there’s a widespread battery problem with a phone, it won’t remain hidden. The Galaxy S7, meanwhile, hit stores back in March, and Samsung sold tens of millions of units since then.
That said, Samsung does need to clarify any and all issues with its smartphone failures, with special emphasis on the Galaxy Note 7, a phone whose massive battery failure is yet to be explained.