Sprint on Wednesday announced the “family-friendly” Android-powered ZTE Fury. This entry-level handset features a 3.5-inch capacitive display with a 1GHz single-core processor and Android 2.3 Gingerbread. The Fury is equipped with a 5-megapixel rear camera, a microSD slot, 4GB of internal storage, 512MB of RAM and the usual suite of preloaded Sprint apps. “We realize that there are a lot of choices in the market when it comes to choosing the right cell phone that fits the needs of both a working parent and their family,” said David Owens, Sprint’s vice president-Product Development. “Providing affordable, Android-powered devices, like ZTE Fury, in our lineup helps give families the tools and information to better manage their wireless usage while still providing the style and functionality they need to keep up with their busy lives.” The ZTE Fury will be available on March 11th for $19.99 after a $50 mail-in rebate. Read on for Sprint’s press release.
Families Stay Connected with ZTE Fury Smartphone from Sprint
Priced at less than $20, new Android phone takes the worry out of choosing the ideal phone for kids and parents alike
OVERLAND PARK, Kan. and RICHARDSON, Texas – March 9, 2012 – Recognizing the importance of providing a wide variety of devices to fit the needs of families with children, Sprint (NYSE: S), and ZTE Corporation (“ZTE”) today announced the upcoming availability of ZTE FuryTM, a family-friendly Android-powered device that doesn’t skimp on features and comes matched with the only truly unlimited data pricing plans on all phones from a national wireless carrier. Beginning March 11, the full-featured Android-based ZTE Fury will be available for just $19.99 after a $50 mail-in rebate via reward card1 and a new two-year service agreement (excludes taxes and surcharges) in all Sprint retail channels including http://www.sprint.com and 1-800-Sprint1.
The value-priced ZTE Fury comes equipped with all the apps and functionality busy parents and their children want, including a 3.5-inch capacitive display, 5 MP camera with LED flash and 3G hotspot capabilities. The device is also compatible with Sprint’s family services that give parents the tools to encourage good habits and responsible phone use. Family-ready devices like ZTE Fury give parents piece of mind with easy-to-load apps, such as:
• Sprint Family Locator: Allows parents to quickly and easily locate their family members on an interactive map and to set up “safety checks” to ensure their children make it to school safely and on time. Sprint Family Locator costs $5 per month to locate up to four phones. Additional information can be found at http://www.sprint.com/familylocator.
• Sprint Mobile Controls: Gives parents the opportunity to clearly understand their child’s talk, text and app use habits. The app gives parents the ability to lock their child’s phone on-demand or to schedule locks – like during dinner, during school or late at night, and to browse their child’s contacts and apps downloaded to the phone. Sprint Mobile Controls is available on all Sprint CDMA Android-powered smartphones for $4.99 per month, per line. Parents can sign up and learn more about Sprint Mobile Controls by visiting http://www.sprint.com/mobilecontrols.
• Sprint Drive First: An app from Sprint that automatically locks the phone when traveling more than 10 MPH and unlocks when the car has stopped driving. The app directs incoming calls to voicemail and silences distracting alerts while driving. Sprint Drive First is available on all Sprint CDMA Android-powered smartphones for $2 per month, per line. Visit http://www.sprint.com/drivefirst for more information.
“We realize that there are a lot of choices in the market when it comes to choosing the right cell phone that fits the needs of both a working parent and their family,” said David Owens, Sprint vice president-Product Development. “Providing affordable, Android-powered devices, like ZTE Fury, in our lineup helps give families the tools and information to better manage their wireless usage while still providing the style and functionality they need to keep up with their busy lives.”
ZTE Fury also comes preloaded with Sprint ID, a unique feature that enables customers to have a fully personalized experience with a few simple clicks. Customers can download and switch among five self-selected ID packs filled with ringtones, wallpapers, widgets and applications that are tailored to an individual’s lifestyle and interests.
Additional features of ZTE Fury include:
• 3G hotspot functionality2 that allows up to five Wi-Fi enabled devices to share one network connection, an ideal solution for gatherings and travel
• 1GHz Qualcomm Snapdragon MSM8655 processor
• 4GB internal memory and an expandable memory slot supporting up to 32GB
• Using Sprint’s nationwide 3G network, customers can stay connected with their friends, family, business and community through more than 400,000 applications available in the Android Market™.
“ZTE Fury continues ZTE’s legacy of offering a large customer base an entry point to highly sought-after mobile data services. In particular, we know the youth market desires the latest technology but has special requirements for cost and functionality,” said Lixin Cheng, CEO, ZTE USA, and president, North America Region, ZTE. “We are privileged to partner with Sprint to offer customers of all ages productivity, entertainment and connectedness on the go with ZTE Fury.”
ZTE Fury requires activation on a Sprint Everything Data plan for smartphones3 and families that purchase ZTE Fury can rest assured that their monthly data charges won’t be out of control as Sprint offers the only truly unlimited data pricing plans on all phones from a national wireless carrier. Sprint customers who purchase ZTE Fury can take advantage of Sprint Everything Data Family Plans with Any Mobile, AnytimeSM starting at $129.99 per month for two lines, plus the required $10 per month, per line Premium Data add-on charge for smartphones. Additional lines (lines three to five) are $19.99 per month plus the $10 per month, per line Premium Data add-on charge for smartphones.