Building a reliable home network takes a lot of work, especially if you live in a large home with a bunch of people. You have to worry about the placement of the router, the amount of devices connecting to the network, the cost of your Internet package vs. how much data you actually need — it’s a real hassle.
But before you lose your mind trying to plan out how you’re going to build this daunting network, it’s important to have the right hardware. Today, we’ve gathered a list of products from Amazon you’ll want to consider before you begin:
Modem: ARRIS SurfBoard SB6141
Why hassle with cable modem rental fees when you can own one yourself? It’s an investment, but it’ll save you money in the long run (and it’s probably better than whatever rented junk your Internet provider gave you).
- Requires CABLE Internet Service, if not sure your provider is CABLE call them to confirm
- Compatible with ALL Major CABLE providers like Comcast/Xfinity, Cox, Charter, Time Warner, Mediacom, Bright House
- Internet download speeds up to 343 Mbps and upload speeds up to 131 Mbps based on your Cable provider service
- Ideal for streaming HD Video and gaming on multiple devices at a time
- BROWN BOX models NOT VALID for this item, should report to Amazon immediately and RETURN to Seller
Router: TP-Link Archer C7
If you’re looking for a great router, but you don’t want to spend upwards of $250, TP-Link is the way to go. I picked up this router recently and my download speeds have shot up significantly since I upgraded.
- 1.75Gbps total available bandwith, which includes 450Mbps at 2.4GHz and 1300Mbps at 5GHz
- Supports 802.11ac – The next generation of Wi-Fi, and be connected to extra devices
- Dual USB Ports to share files & media, and printer locally with networked devices or remotely via FTP server
- Privacy with Guest Network Access provides secure Wi-Fi access for guests sharing your home or office network
- IP-based Bandwidth Control makes it easier for you to manage the bandwidth of individual devices connected to the router
- Easy one-touch WPA wireless security encryption with the WPS button
- Easy Setup Assistant with multi-language support provides a quick & hassle free installation process
- TP-LINK Live 24/7 Technical Support
Powerline: ZyXEL AV2 Gigabit Adapter Starter Kit
Don’t buy a WiFi extender! If you need to reach the far corners of your house, it’s worth it to go wired instead.
- The newest Home Plug AV2 standard enables power line networks with up to 600 Mbps data transfer rates
- Pass-through port for connecting additional powered devices
- Smart Link Plus enhances performance and coverage through multiple-path transmission
- Plug-and-Play design for connecting smart TVs and game consoles
- Compliant with IEEE 1901 and Home Plug AV technology
- 2 Units Pack
Ethernet Cables: Cable Matters 5-Color Combo
If you do decide to go the hardwired route, you’re probably going to need a few extra ethernet cables. Might as well make them festive.
- High Performance Cat6, 24 AWG, UL Listed, RJ45 Ethernet Patch Cable provides universal connectivity for LAN network components
- Cat6 performance at a Cat5e price but with higher bandwidth
- The connectors with gold-plated contacts, molded strain-relief boots, and snagless molds resist corrosion, provide durability, and ensure a secure connection; Bare copper conductors enhance cable performance and comply with UL 444 specifications for communications cables
- Flexible and durable Cat6 cable with high bandwidth of up to 550 MHz guarantees high-speed data transfer for server applications, cloud computing, video surveillance, and online high definition video streaming