Sony confirmed last week that the long-awaited Suspend/Resume feature would be a part of the upcoming 2.50 firmware update for the PS4. The update will also include accessibility options, trophy improvements, Dailymotion uploading and the ability to record and stream at 60 frames per second, but no release date was provided.
It’s probably safer to just wait until the update goes live in the coming weeks, but if you’re desperate to start testing the new features as soon as possible, you might want to take a look at this interesting workaround from Wololo.net.
WARNING: We do not encourage any activity that may be misconstrued as modding or hacking a PlayStation 4.
Wololo is a community of modders best known for creating custom firmware for the PSP, allowing players to install games and applications that could not be installed on the standard firmware that shipped with the portable console.
On Sunday, Wololo shared a short guide from developer SKFU which enables anyone to download and install the preview build of firmware 2.50 on to their PS4. Here’s his guide in full (updated for the United States):
- Get any SKFU’s Pr0xy server (wololo.net)
- Start & setup the Proxy Server on your PlayStation 4
- Redirect “fus01.ps4.update.playstation.net/update/ps4/list/us/ps4-updatelist.xml” to “fus01.ps4.update.playstation.net/update/ps4/beta/list/us/ps4-updatelist.xml”
- In case your from another region, change “/us/” to your regioncode!
- Search for an update on your PS4
- Download, install and enjoy 2.50 Beta :)
- In case this does not work, try the installation via safemode “Update using Internet”. If you have setup the proxy already, it also works in safemode.
It’s a lot of hassle to download an incomplete firmware (and one which will disable Remote Play on your PS Vita until the next Vita firmware update drops), but if you can’t wait any longer, you can try this method. And if it doesn’t work, refer to the comments on Wololo.net.