On the same day IHS iSuppli estimated that cumulative Android activations would top 1 billion some time next year, Google’s (GOOG) Hugo Barra confirmed Tuesday evening that 500 million Android devices have been activated since the platform first launched. Considering Google’s land grab is a huge part of its Android strategy, this is a major milestone for the software giant, which is now activating Android devices at a rate of 1.3 million per day. Assuming continued growth in the pace at which Google activates Android devices, the platform should surpass the 1 billion cumulative activations mark some time next summer.
Zach Epstein has worked in and around ICT for more than 15 years, first in marketing and business development with two private telcos, then as a writer and editor covering business news, consumer electronics and telecommunications. Zach’s work has been quoted by countless top news publications in the US and around the world. He was also recently named one of the world's top-10 “power mobile influencers” by Forbes, as well as one of Inc. Magazine's top-30 Internet of Things experts.
- How to find out if your Gmail or Facebook login was stolen in the recent massive data breach
- Southwest Airlines cancels hundreds of flights for the third day in a row
- Apple hints AirPods might get an awesome hidden feature soon
- Leak reveals a revolutionary new Apple service that had to be put on hold
- Gmail just got a massive upgrade that might impact everything you do online