Without any notice or fanfare to alert its users, Amazon has suddenly begun offering substantial discounts on new games to Prime subscribers. Destructoid was the first site to note that Prime members will begin seeing lower prices on games at checkout, even though there’s no real indication beforehand of how far the price is going to drop.
There haven’t been any changes to the official list of
Amazon Primequalify for a lower price on this item when shipped and sold by Amazon. Add it to your cart and see the discount at the final check out page. Offer will be extended to all existing Prime member pre-orders.”
Amazon then links to this page, which explains that Prime members now “qualify for a lower price on certain video game consoles, accessories, and games when sold by Amazon.com.” It’s hard to tell whether or not this is a limited time promotion or a permanent fixture for Prime, but we welcome it nonetheless.
Destructoid also took the time to find a large selection of games that are currently eligible for these mysterious discounts. Be sure to check out the full list at their site, but here are a few new and upcoming games that stood out:
- Batman: Arkham Knight (PS4, Xbox One) — $49.99 ($9.97 off)
- Call of Duty: Black Ops III (PS4, Xbox One) — $49.99 ($10.00 off)
- Halo 5: Guardians (Xbox One) — $52.99 ($7.00 off)
- Rainbow Six Siege (PS4, Xbox One) — $52.99 (7.00 off)
- Splatoon (Wii U) — $52.99 ($6.97 off)
- Star Wars Battlefront (PS4, Xbox One) — $54.99 ($4.97 off)
Be on the lookout for more discounts like these on future game releases as well.