On Thursday night, after months of anticipation, Nintendo finally told us everything we’d been waiting to know about the Switch. It took the company over an hour to say everything it needed to say, so we decided to recap all of the most important announcements in a post below. If you want to know when the Switch is launch, how much it will cost and what games you’ll be playing on it, read on.
When does the Switch launch?
March 3rd, 2017 in the United States, Europe, Japan and several other regions.
How much does it cost?
$299.99 in the US and 29,980 yen in Japan. Nintendo says customers in Europe will need to contact their local retailers in order to figure out how much the console will cost in their region.
What games has Nintendo announced?
- The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild | March 3rd
- 1-2 Switch | March 3rd: 2-player party game that only requires the Joy-Con controllers.
- Mario Kart 8 Deluxe | April 28th: New characters, courses and more.
- ARMS | Spring 2017: A fighting game where the characters have extendable arms.
- Splatoon 2 | Summer 2017: Sequel to the popular Wii U third-person shooter.
- Super Mario Odyssey | Holiday 2017: 3D sandbox adventure outside of the Mushroom Kingdom.
- Xenoblade Chronicles 2: A new open-world RPG in the Xenoblade saga.
- Fire Emblem Warriors
- Dragon Quest X
- Dragon Quest XI
- Dragon Quest Heroes I & II
- Untitled Shin Megami Tensei game
- Project Octopath Traveler
- The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
- Untitled No More Heroes sequel
How long will the battery last?
2.5 hours to 6 hours, depending on the game being played. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, for example, will be playable for approximately 3 hours before the battery dies.
Will the Nintendo Switch be region-locked?
No! Nintendo says that “in general” region-locking won’t be applied to Switch software.
How will the online service work?
When the console launches in March, every Switch owner will be able to play games online for free. In the fall, Nintendo will switch to a paid model similar to PS Plus and Xbox Live, which will give Switch owners access to online lobbies, voice chat and a free monthly download of a classic NES or SNES game (with added online play). Check the Switch online service page for more information.
How much do accessories cost?
The “Choose your Nintendo Switch” page on Nintendo’s website reveals that the Nintendo Switch Pro Controller will cost $69.99, a pack of two Joy-Con controllers will cost $79.99, a single Joy-Con (L) or Joy-Con (R) will cost $49.99, the Joy-Con Charging Grip will cost $29.99, the Nintendo Switch Dock Set (with a separate Switch Dock, AC adapter and HDMI cable) will cost $89.99 and a Joy-Con Wheel costs $14.99.
How do I preorder a Switch?
Check the Amazon widget below. Also try visiting Best Buy, GameStop, Walmart and other retailers online. Preorders are expected to start in the US at 9 AM on Friday morning and in Japan on January 21st. Nintendo New York will also be offering a very limited number of preorders on Friday.