If you purchase an independently reviewed product or service through a link on our website, we may receive an affiliate commission.
If you’re like most people in the US these days, you use Facebook for most or even all of your communications. Facebook’s various apps support text chat, photo chat, voice calling, and even video calling. That’s why the Portal from Facebook is so brilliant. You already use Facebook for video calling, and the Portal takes video calling to the next level. It’s loud and clear with a nice big display, and the Smart Camera feature follows you around as you move. It even widens the frame if more people enter the room and join the conversation. Alexa support is also built right into the Portal, making this a truly versatile device that should be on just about everyone’s kitchen counter. Snag one right now on Amazon and you’ll save $50 on either model!Portal from Facebook [Gen 1]. Smart, Hands-Free Video Calling with Alexa Built-in List Price:$199.00 Price:$129.99 You Save:$69.01 (35%) Available from Amazon, BGR may receive a commission Portal from Facebook. Smart, Hands-Free Video Calling with Alexa Built-in (Gen 1) List Price:$199.00 Price:$159.00 You Save:$40.00 (20%) Available from Amazon, BGR may receive a commission Facebook Portal Plus - Smart Video Calling 15.6” Touch Screen Display with Alexa - Black List Price:$279.00 Price:$173.28 You Save:$105.72 (38%) Available from Amazon, BGR may receive a commission Facebook Portal Plus - Smart Video Calling 15.6” Touch Screen Display with Alexa - White List Price:$279.00 Price:$232.85 You Save:$46.15 (17%) Available from Amazon, BGR may receive a commission
Here are the key details from the product page:
- Move and talk freely with Smart Camera: With Smart Camera, you don’t have to worry about being out of frame. Whether you’re moving around the kitchen, prepping dinner or chasing the kids through the living room, Smart Camera adjusts to follow the action. And as more people enter a room, Smart Camera automatically widens to keep everyone in view, so you don’t miss a moment.
- Private by design: Facebook doesn’t listen to, view or keep the contents of your Portal video calls. Calls on Portal are encrypted, so conversations stay between you and those you’re calling. You can also completely disable the camera and microphone with a single tap, or block the camera lens with the camera cover provided.
- Connect with friends, even if they don’t have Portal: Easily call friends and family on Messenger — calls can be made seamlessly to and from smartphones and tablets. And you can bring up to six other people into a group call.
- Alexa built-in: Portal has Alexa built-in, so you can ask a question, set a timer, add items to your shopping list, control your smart home or more. Just ask.
- Experience more together: With Portal, story time will never be the same. With music, animation and augmented reality effects, Portal lets you become some of your children’s favorite characters as you read along to well-loved stories. And if friends or family also have Portal, you can listen to your favorite music together as if you were in the same room, without delays or feedback.
- Stay close with Superframe: When you’re not in a call, Portal can display your Facebook photos and videos. You can also see when your closest contacts are available to connect, and get birthday reminders.
- Active Facebook account required for product use.
Follow @BGRDeals on Twitter to keep up with the latest and greatest deals we find around the web. Prices subject to change without notice and any coupons mentioned above may be available in limited supply.