- Amazon’s best-selling face masks are in stock right now for $0.70 each, which is a new all-time low for the wildly popular face masks that everyone is wearing to protect themselves from the novel coronavirus.
- Those masks offer 3 layers of protection and are more than good enough to do the job as long as you also practice strict social distancing and good hygiene.
- If you want even better protection, you don’t need to overpay for price-gouged KN95 face masks — it’s actually very easy to make your own masks out of things you have lying around your house plus a few simple supplies from Amazon.
- Visit BGR’s homepage for more stories.
The CDC recommends that everyone wears a face mask anytime they leave their homes, whether it’s to go grocery shopping, to pick up food, to go for a walk, or for any other reason. Considering how prematurely nonessential businesses are reopening, this recommendation isn’t likely to change at least until next year. We have this plenty of times already, but we’re going to say it again: that doesn’t mean you should go out and buy medical-grade face masks. N95 respirator masks are in very short supply and are needed by hospitals. As for KN95 masks, the ones you find price-gouged online are unregulated and are probably about as effective as a t-shirt.
Instead of wasting money on overpriced, underperforming KN95 masks, pick up Amazon’s best-selling face masks while they’re on sale for just $0.70 each, which is a new all-time low price for these wildly popular face masks. As long as you practice strict social distancing and good hygiene, these masks will do a terrific job of protecting you or helping stop you from spreading the novel coronavirus if you’re already infected. By the way, good hygiene means washing your hands anytime you touch something outside your home — on a related note, best-selling hand sanitizer is back in stock at Amazon right now.
That said, there’s actually a very simple way to can make masks yourself that are even more than effective than those face masks. On top of that, you can make dozens of them with a few simple supplies, most of which you already have lying around your home. You’ll obviously still need to practice good hygiene and use social distancing, but these masks will do a great job of adding an extra layer of protection against aerosolized coronavirus.
We came across a great little video that shows how to make a DIY face mask that is much better than most basic masks you’ve seen plans for online. It’s not complicated at all, and you don’t even need to sew or use any hard-to-get supplies. Most of what you need to make these masks is probably already lying around your house, and the only supplies you won’t already have just came back in stock at Amazon. First, you’ll need a MERV 13 Pleated Air Filter. If the one linked here is sold out, use this search and get any well-reviewed air filer with a MERV 13 rating (nothing lower). You also need some Carbon Pad Charcoal Sheets for Air Filters.
Here’s the full list of supplies and materials you’ll need:
- Old T-shirt or leggings
- MERV 13 Filter (to filter small particles)
- Activated Carbon Sheet (to filter small particles and reduce odor)
- Maxi Pad or Sterile Gauze Pad (to wick moisture away from your mouth)
- Vinegar (to help kill bacteria and viruses)
- Glue Gun and Glue Sticks
That’s it! It’s a very simple little DIY face mask tutorial that can go a long way to help protect you and your loved ones. You’ll find the video embedded below.