- Ryan Reynold’s wireless carrier Mint Mobile is doing its part to help out consumers during the coronavirus crisis.
- Through April 14, it’s giving away free mobile data since staying connected has never been more important for smartphone owners than it is right now.
- A growing number of US cities are combating the spread of the deadly virus with quarantines, lock-downs, and shelter-in-place orders, which is why connectivity is so important right now — especially since many jobs are shifting to a remote-work scenario as the virus continues running its course.
- The number of people who’ve tested positive for coronavirus in the US has now passed 5,000.
- Visit BGR’s homepage for more stories.
The wireless carrier that Ryan Reynolds bought an ownership stake in is trying to help consumers out during this trying time, as the coronavirus continues its spread around the country and continues forcing social distancing.
Between now and April 14, Mint Mobile is giving out free data packages to new sign-ups in the US. The offer is for a free 3GB data package from the carrier, and all you need to do to get this is download the Mint Mobile app for either iOS or Android. After you’ve done that, go to the account icon and tap “Buy more data.”
From there, select the option to “buy” the 3GB data package. You’ll first pay for the data, but Mint Mobile will refund you for it on the back end. “These last few days have thrown the world into an unprecedented moment of uncertainty where reliable communication is of the utmost importance,” the company explains on its website. “As your communication provider, we feel it’s necessary to do something that could possibly help all of us navigate this tough time a little bit better.
“Starting 3-15-20 through 4-14-20, Mint Mobile will be providing all current and new customers with FREE unlimited high-speed data add-ons.”
The way this offer works, your credit card will be charged for the 3GB allotment you purchase, and then it will be refunded within 24 hours. If you use a bank card to make the purchase, that refund will take longer. You can also add as many additional 3GB allotments as you want through April 14, but Mint Mobile says that 95% of your data add-on will need to be used up before you purchase an additional 3GB add-on.
As from Mint Mobile’s effort, other major carriers are taking similar steps to offer consumers help. Many of them are waiving late fees for anyone who can’t pay their bill right now, and for small businesses which are especially vulnerable to disruptions in their cash flow since so many people are staying home at the moment. Along the lines of Mint Mobile, T-Mobile has also decided to give all of its existing customer free data for the next 60 days.