When classic video game franchises are ported over to mobile devices, they are often stripped of everything that made them great and given a free-to-play makeover. In-app purchases aren’t always a bad thing, but in the case of a game like SimCity BuildIt, they can completely corrupt the experience.
Thankfully, with RollerCoaster Tycoon Classic, Atari has opted to charge $5.99 up front for full access to a game that “combines the best features” from RollerCoaster Tycoon and RollerCoaster Tycoon 2.
Here are the key features from the listing on the App Store and Google Play:
- The Original RollerCoaster Sim: Experience all the fun from the original RollerCoaster Tycoon® and RollerCoaster Tycoon® 2 games, with a new app that combines the best elements of both classic titles.
- Coaster Construction: Create incredible roller coasters – Quickly build a pre-made design or use the intuitive piece-by-piece building tools to design and theme your own unique rides.
- Park Designer: Keep your guests happy by building gentle or wild rides, food and drink stalls, water rides, and even transport rides to take them around the park; Customize your park by building scenery, fine-tuning the landscape, and routing the footpaths.
- Park Management: Run your park’s marketing and finances to make a profit while attracting more guests; Organize your staff to keep the park running well and looking its best.
- Exciting Environments: Build the ultimate theme park in a variety of challenging environments, from the tranquility of Forest Frontiers to the bustling commerce of Megaworld Park.
- Park Scenarios: Progress through 95 classic park scenarios from RollerCoaster Tycoon® and RollerCoaster Tycoon® 2.
- Authentic Gameplay: Classic-style characterful isometric graphics and original amusement park music and sound effects.
- Packed with Content: Includes hundreds of types of roller coasters and rides, and dozens of different shops, stalls, and facilities.
The game doesn’t feature any microtransactions to speak, but if you want more content, there are in-app purchases for the game’s three expansion packs: Wacky Worlds, Time Twister and Toolkit.