It’s pretty great that most pay TV companies now offer apps that let you stream live TV. From Comcast and Time Warner Cable to Dish, these companies all offer apps for the iPhone, iPad and Android devices that give you access to on demand content as well as live channels. Some apps have restrictions though, so you can only watch live TV on your phone or tablet while you’re in your house. And the ones that don’t have restrictions still have other issues like bad interfaces, stability problems or even locked content that can only be accessed on your home TV.
But what if your home TV was everywhere? Instead of using an app, what if your smartphone, tablet or laptop was actually a portal into the full experience that your home TV and set-top box provides? And what if you could stream as much as you want for free after buying the hardware and app you need? It’s time to stop saying “what if,” because the Slingbox 500 does all that and more.
Here are the highlights from Sling:
- Watch and control 100% of your live TV on a tablet*, phone*, PC, or Mac. *Requires Slingplayer for mobile devices app, sold separately.
- Windows® or MAC® minimum requirements : Intel® Core(TM) 2 Duo or better, DirectX 9 Class video card with more than 256 MB of dedicated memory for Windows PC
- Home TV interface via HDMI with live sports and Gallery View for easy program discovery.
- Sort by program genre or set up favorites, Integrated YouTube app and YouTube Web Gallery with top-trending videos.
- Get contextual YouTube recommendations, based on the show you’re watching, at the touch of a button.
All that with absolutely no monthly fees whatsoever! And we haven’t even told you the best part: Amazon is hosting a one-week sale that drops the price of the Slingbox 500 to just $249.99 with free Prime shipping. If you want to the same great experience you get at home to follow you everywhere you go, this is the device for you.
Follow @BGRDeals on Twitter to keep up with the latest and greatest deals we find around the web.
BGR Deals content is independent of Editorial and Advertising, and BGR may receive a commission on purchases made through our posts.