The beauty of YouTube is it lets you watch people do very stupid and dangerous things from the comfort of your own home without any personal risk to yourself. We found one such video on Wednesday that was posted this week by TheBackyardScientist, who decided it would be interesting to see what happened if your poured a can of molten aluminum into a watermelon. The results of this experiment were thankfully non-lethal but that still doesn’t mean you should try it at home and you especially shouldn’t try it in the way TheBackyardScientist did.
What was so colossally stupid about the way our intrepid scientist went about his experiment? Let us count the ways.
- He wore jeans and casual shoes while pouring a very hot liquid metal nearby.
- He didn’t create any sort of funnel system for the watermelon in his first attempt, which meant that the aluminum splashed off the rim and onto the ground.
- Speaking of the ground, he didn’t place this watermelon in a fire pit or anything sensible like that. No, instead he put it right on top of a patch of dry brown grass that instantly caught fire when the aluminum splashed onto it.
- He admitted before he conducted the experiment that he thought pouring molten aluminum into the watermelon would make it explode… and he saw no need to take any further safety precautions.
OK, so with that out of the way, what actually happened when he poured the metal into the fruit? It actually cooled down and created a very neat-looking aluminum molding of the inside of the watermelon.
But again, don’t even think of trying this yourself. Creating a piece of aluminum watermelon art is not worth a potential slot at the 2015 Darwin Awards.
Watch the whole video below.