It looks like regional carrier U.S. Cellular will throw its proverbial hat in the Samsung-ring and offer its customers the Galaxy Tab Android device. Most of us, by now, are familiar with the device’s spec sheet — Android 2.2, Flash 10.1, and 7-inch display — what we’re really interested in is the price and launch date of the device; all things the press release lacks. Hit the jump to read what you already know about the Tab and we’ll reach out to U.S. Cellular for a comment on the date and price.
Samsung Mobile Announces Samsung Galaxy Tab™ with U.S. Cellular®
Mobile tablet will feature 7-inch touchscreen, Android 2.2™ platform, Adobe® Flash® Player 10.1 and front and rear-facing cameras for video chat support
DALLAS – October 28, 2010 – Samsung Telecommunications America (Samsung Mobile)1, the No.1 mobile phone provider in the U.S. today announced the Samsung Galaxy Tab™ with U.S. Cellular®. The Samsung Galaxy Tab is designed for people who want a premium mobile entertainment experience on the go, but don’t want to be weighed down by a bulky device. Weighing only 13 ounces and 12 millimeters thin, the Galaxy Tab fits conveniently in a pocket or purse.
The Samsung Galaxy Tab features a brilliant 7-inch enhanced TFT display screen, 1GHz Hummingbird Application processor supporting 3D graphics and smooth Web browsing and 1.3 megapixel front and 3 megapixel rear-facing cameras and is powered by Android 2.2™, including full support for Adobe® Flash® Player 10.1.
Just like Samsung’s Galaxy S™ smart phones, the Galaxy Tab includes Samsung’s Social Hub application, which syncs a users Messaging and Contacts to initiate the sending and receiving of information, whether it is e-mail, instant messaging, social network updates or SMS messages. Additionally, calendar information from portal calendars, such as Google Calendar, and social networking services are displayed together in one calendar with two-way synchronization.
Services like Google Maps™ Navigation (Beta) and Google Goggles are available on Google’s Android platform. With useful location-based services like Google Maps™, consumers can search in Standard English instead of entering an exact address. A search-by-voice function is just as intuitive, meaning searches can also be completed easily on the go.
- 7-inch enhanced TFT display with WSVGA resolution – Offers brighter colors and clearer pictures and delivers 1024 x 600 resolution whether watching a movie or reading a book
- Rear-facing, 3MP camera and camcorder – AutoFocus captures DVD quality video
- Front-facing, 1.3-megapixel camera and camcorder – Enables video chat with other people who have video conferencing capabilities (applications available in Android Market™).
- Corporate Email – Supports Android 2.2 Exchange ActiveSync e-mail to synchronize corporate e-mail, contacts and calendars from office e-mail accounts
- Wi-Fi® connectivity (802.11 b/g/n) and Wireless Hotspot support
- Built-in 2 GB internal memory with 16 GB pre-installed microSD™ expandable to 32 GB
- 4,000 mAh Battery – Provides ample power to watch movies, share content and surf the Web
- Ultra thin at 12 millimeters and weighing 13 ounces – For users who don’t want to be weighed down by adding a mobile tablet to their pocket or purse Samsung Social Hub – Built around messaging, contacts and calendar sync, which allows users to send and receive daily activities, whether it is e-mail, social network updates or SMS messages
- Customizable touch screen menu with drag-and-drop widgets
For additional information about the Samsung Galaxy Tab, visit http://www.samsungmobileusa.com.