The world’s most subscribed-to MMORPG may be coming soon to a mobile device near you. World of Warcraft’s senior producer John Lagrave sat down with Eurogamer to discuss the future of the ever-changing gaming industry. “Maybe we’ll stumble on the great way to put WOW on the phone – maybe we won’t, but we’re certainly looking into it,” Lagrave said. “We won’t do it until we think it’s decent. But it’s interesting and the world is evolving towards [the iPhone]. It would be foolish for any game developer to not be looking at that.” Having a large game such as WoW ported to a touch-based mobile device wouldn’t come without its fair share of problems. As Gameloft’s Order & Chaos has shown, however, MMORPGs are definitely doable on portable devices. Blizzard’s only WoW app for the time being is called Mobile Armory, and it only allows users to view a character’s armor and manage auctions. “What we’ve done with WOW on mobile devices is very simplistic: view the armory, you check your auctions,” Lagrave said. “When we have an epiphany, everyone will know. But for now, no epiphany!” More →
Blizzard Entertainment announced Monday that its new title World of Warcraft: Cataclysm sold 3.3 million copies on its first day of availability. The game’s remarkable sales pace shatters the previous record for opening day sales of a PC game, which was also held by a Blizzard title; World of Warcraft: Wrath of the Lich King launched on November 13th, 2008 and sold 2.8 million copies in its first 24 hours of availability. “We had to bring Azeroth to the brink of destruction in Cataclysm, but the result was our best expansion yet,” Blizzard CEO Mike Morhaim said in a statement. “We want to thank all of our new, existing, and returning players throughout the world for their incredible enthusiasm and support, and we look forward to hearing what they think about all the new content.” Cataclysm is the latest addition to the extremely popular World of Warcraft series, which is one of the most popular massively multiplayer online role-playing game (MMORPG) franchises in history. Hit the jump for the full press release. More →
Following one of the largest leaks in game developer history, Blizzard China General Manager Ye Weilun has left the company for reasons that have not been revealed. The leak, which occurred last week, included a bevy of sensitive information such as confidential financial data and budgets, personal subscriber data and the company’s product roadmap for the next four years. The roadmap, shown above, reveals Blizzard’s timeline for upcoming releases like the third and fourth installments of the company’s popular World of Warcraft franchise, the third Diablo game and a new title called Titan. Blizzard’s leaked financial data and its subscriber database are rumored to have been delivered to one or more of the company’s competitors. Former sales director of Nokia China Dai Jinhe has replaced Weilun as General Manager of Blizzard China.
[Via MMOGameSite.com] More →