Google recently sent out invitations to an event on November 16th, during which the company will make a “special announcement.” The invite’s tagline says: “These go to eleven,” a famous quote from the popular comedy This is Spinal Tap that takes you behind the scenes of a rock band. The quote suggests Google’s event will have some sort of music focus, however Google also sent along an image of a T-Mobile logo spray painted on a building, so perhaps we’ll hear about a new phone instead. We’ll keep you updated with all of the details when the event kicks off at 5:00 p.m. EST on November 16th. Hit the jump for a teaser image provided by Google. More →
We have just received some information from a solid Apple source, and if they’re right, Apple may be planning something big for its 10th retail anniversary this Thursday the 19th. Here’s what we’ve been told:
- There’s an overnight shift planned for around 10-15 individuals at each Apple Store to work from late Saturday all the way through mid-Sunday.
- During the overnight shift, it’s going to be required that employees lock cell phones in the main office. They will also have to sign an NDA with Apple.
- There are a wide variety of roles, we’re told, for the overnight shift. This includes all visuals staff, a manager, a business team member, a few Genius team members, one back-of-house employee, and a few generic Apple specialists.
- Apple stores have apparently already received hardware to install, and are expecting more hardware to come on Friday or Saturday. All materials that Apple stores have received have been instructed to be under lock and key until after close on Saturday night.
- Apple employees will be putting up black curtains at all stores so that people walking outside cannot see inside.
- Employees have had to download gigabytes of data from Apple corporate labeled, “training” in a password-protected zipped folder that won’t accessible to managers or anyone else until Saturday afternoon.
- Lastly, all Apple retail stores have mandatory meetings on Sunday, May 22nd. Most meeting are scheduled for the morning, but there are evening meetings as well.
The question is, what is Apple planning? More →
Apple will announce its next-generation iPad tablet at a special media event on March 2nd, The Wall Street Journal reports. The report, found on The Journal’s BoomTown blog, cites multiple sources with its claim and further supports an earlier report that the iPad 2 release will not be delayed. Apple will hold the event in San Francisco to announce its new tablet, as usual, and it is unclear whether or not Apple CEO Steve Jobs will be on hand to unveil the device. Jobs is currently on medical leave, so it stands to reason that he will not be in attendance. In that case, Tim Cook will likely run the show as he did during Jobs’ last medical leave. Press has not begun receiving invitations for the event yet, though they should begin arriving soon if The Journal’s report is accurate. More →