Sony on Tuesday announced it has sold more than 2.1 million PlayStation 4 units in the two weeks since the console was first launched. The PS4 was released in North America on November 15, with Sony announcing over 1 million sales for the first 24 hours. Two weeks later, the console was launched in multiple markets in Europe and Latin America. The PS4 is now available in 32 markets around the world. More →
Can’t we all just get along? Some have issued a call for peace but the next-generation console war is inevitable. PlayStation 4 fans and Xbox One fans have their own war going, and market research firms and other industry watchers will constantly pit the two consoles against each other as they fight for sales. While the PS4 undoubtedly took an early lead since it launched a week ahead of Microsoft’s new console, it looks like the Xbox One gained some ground and dominated Black Friday sales at two of the biggest retailers in the country. More →
Sony on Thursday announced on its PlayStation blog that certain PSN features will be turned off during the European launch of the PlayStation 4 console to ensure a smooth experience for players, as the company is “expecting record sales and record numbers of people logging onto PSN at similar times,” alongside existing PSN users from the United States. The services that will be temporarily disabled on Friday in Europe include What’s New and the Content Information Screen. What’s New lets PSN users engage with friends that also own the PS4 console and discover recent activity, while the Content Information Screen lets users see the activity of friends based on specific game titles. More →
It’s still very early in the new console wars but it looks like Sony’s PlayStation 4 seems to have a slight early edge over Microsoft’s Xbox One so far. The Telegraph reports that retailer GAME says that early demand for the PS4 is off the charts and that preorders for the new console have been around four times greater than what it saw for the PlayStation 3. The Telegraph also says that Amazon is projecting that the PS4 “will become the fastest selling console in Amazon UK history” and will overtake the record sales that the company has already seen for the Xbox One that launched in the country last week. We’re still in the very early stages, of course, and many gamers are still waiting to see what future console exclusives come out for the Xbox One and PS4 before making a decision on which console to buy.
Two separate surveys are showing that the PlayStation 4 sits substantially ahead of Microsoft’s Xbox One when it comes to polling American consumers about console preference. According to a new Nielsen survey, 30% of active gamers intend to definitely buy a PS4 console while 22% said the same about the Xbox One. According to Parks Associates, 36% of console shoppers favor PS4 while 27% are leaning towards Xbox One. More →
Sony has negotiated with game publishers including EA and Ubisoft to adjust the prices of PlayStation 4 PSN games in order to match the cheaper Xbox One cost for the same digital titles, Eurogamer has confirmed. Games including “FIFA 14,” “Battlefield 4” and “Assassin’s Creed 4” were £8 more on PSN than Xbox One in the U.K. But those prices have been reduced just in time for the U.K. launch of Sony’s new console, which is scheduled to take place at midnight on Friday. More →
Killzone: Shadow Fall is a gorgeous mess. What could have been a heavyweight contender in an already crowded market for next-gen shooters is bogged down by a tedious, cliched, and ridiculous single player campaign that Guerrilla Games arguably forgot to finish. Maybe they just didn’t have time. I can’t be sure. Thankfully, the robust multiplayer buoys an otherwise sinking package by building upon what was offered in Killzone 3, one of my favorite competitive experiences on the PS3. More →
The inclusion of Twitch live streaming on the PlayStation 4 is one of the most exciting features of the console, with hundreds of users broadcasting their gaming sessions for the first time. Unfortunately, a few nasty cooks are trying to spoil Sony’s broth. GameRevolution reported over the weekend that a man removed his wife’s clothing while streaming over the Playroom app, which gives viewers a full-screen shot of the streamer, rather than the standard headshot that viewers normally see during gaming streams. More →
With both the Xbox One and the PlayStation 4 now out in the United States, there’s been some chatter about whether they’ll lead to a broader revival in the gaming market or whether they’ll be seen as the console era’s last hurrah as more casual gamers get their fix through mobile devices while the remaining hardcore gamers hunker down in their PC bunkers. As someone who has enjoyed video games ever since getting his first 8-bit Nintendo console back in 1988, I really hope that dedicated gaming consoles stay as centerpieces of the gaming world because they provide something that neither tablets nor PCs can really achieve. More →
After selling 1 million PlayStation 4 units in the U.S. and Canada in the first 24 hours of availability, Sony sees more good PS4 sales signs coming from the region, as the console is already sold with a major retailer. Best Buy’s CEO Hubert Joly on Thursday confirmed to Reuters that the retailer has “pretty much run out” of PS4 stock. More →
The mystery surrounding the PlayStation 4′s enigmatic “blue light of death” may have been solved. Per Bloomberg, Sony this week said that some PlayStation 4 consoles may have been damaged during shipping, which explains why a small number of them have been turning off automatically or not displaying any images or sound despite showing a blue light that indicates the console has been turned on. Sony spokesperson Satoshi Nakajima told Bloomberg that “there have been several issues reported, which leads us to believe there isn’t a singular problem that could impact a broader percentage of PS4 units,” which means Sony is sticking with its story that only 1% of PS4 consoles are affected by the reported problems.
With a one-week head start and 1 million sales in a single day, Sony has a chance to win the holiday season with the PlayStation 4. The Economist has shared some video game console sales predictions from market-research firm IHS, which gives Sony a slight advantage over Microsoft during the launch months of November and December. Both the PlayStation 4 and Xbox One are expected to move more than 2 million units before 2014, barely edging out the Wii U launch numbers. The Wii U sales went on to take a precipitous dive at the beginning of the year, something both Sony and Microsoft are hoping to avoid. This is shaping up to be one the first evenly matched console launches, at least in terms of initial sales. It will be several months, if not over a year, before anyone is likely to take a definitive lead. The Economist’s console retail sales chart follows below. More →
If stories about hardware failures are scaring you away from buying a PlayStation 4, don’t worry too much: There’s a 99% chance that you’ll be OK. Per The Washington Post, Sony on Tuesday addressed reports of early hardware problems with the PS4 and said that only 1% of consoles are experiencing the “blue light of death” failure where “users are seeing the console’s blue light illuminate to indicate the device is powered on, but still face blank television screens.” Xbox 360 gamers know what it’s like to live under the constant fear of a hardware failure after early versions of the console were plagued by the “red ring of death” that became a major public relations headache for Microsoft. Sony is insisting that any PS4 hardware problems are isolated, however, and that gamers shouldn’t panic