Some analysts believe Apple may have sold close to 1 million iPad 2 units during the tablet’s debut weekend. Leading up to launch day, opening weekend sales estimates ranged from 300,000 to 600,000 units. Following nationwide sell outs, however, some analysts have upped their estimates significantly. “We would not be surprised to see Apple sell closer to 1 million iPad2s in the opening weekend,” Wedbush Securities analyst Scott Sutherland told Reuters. Apple Store locations and third-party retail partners across the country ran out of iPad 2 inventory quickly following the tablet’s 5:00 p.m. launch on Friday. Some Best Buy locations claim to have sold out of iPad 2 units and accessories within 10 minutes of making the tablet available to customers. Regarding buyer breakdown, Global Equities Research analyst Trip Chowdhry believes 60% of iPad 2 buyers were upgrading from last year’s model and the remaining 40% were first-time iPad buyers — and he believes 100% of iPad 2 buyers own at least one other Apple product. Chowdhry also thinks people preferred AT&T’s 3G model over Verizon Wireless’ iPad 2 because AT&T has better customer service. More →
Several industry analysts estimate that Apple’s iPad 2, which became available online early this morning and will go on sale in stores this evening, should handily beat the opening weekend sales achieved last year by the original iPad. Analysts at Creative Strategies, Rodman & Renshaw and Piper Jaffray all concur, and it only seems logical, of course. Inventory shortages played a big role in hampering launch weekend sales of the original iPad model, which sold 300,000 units in its first 24 hours of availability. Despite being an incremental update that disappoints in some areas, the iPad 2 will be much more widely available at launch, with retail partners including AT&T, Verizon Wireless, Best Buy, Walmart, Sam’s Club and Target carrying the tablet on top of availability at Apple Stores across the country. The iPad 2 goes on sale at 5:00 p.m. on Friday. More →
The official numbers are in, and it looks like Apple, Inc. managed to push out 1.7 million iPhone 4s from Thursday the 24th through this Saturday the 26th. Pretty impressive numbers coming out of Cupertino. We’ve got the official press release after the bump. More →
Yesterday, Sprint confessed that it may have overestimated the opening weekend sales figures for the hottest new phone available to the general public; the HTC EVO 4G. Sprint explains: “We originally reported that the total number of HTC EVO 4G devices sold on launch day was three times the number of Samsung Instinct and Palm Pre devices sold over their first three days on the market combined.” Sprint then went onto say, “we inadvertently erred in the comparison.” The metaphor misnomer has led BTIG analyst, Walter Piecyk, to lower his EVO 4G weekend sales estimate from 300,000 units to around 150,000 units. Not that it matters much…the EVO is still the talk of the town, and in short supply with high demand. With the momentum the 4G handset has, we’re sure it will hit that 300,000 figure in no time at all.
It looks like dogs everywhere are in for some trouble as Apple reveals over one million iPhone 3G S models were sold this past weekend. Yep, that’s a whole lot of high pitched squealing — but apparently the “S” stands for “Sales”. Almost equally as impressive, it looks like Steve Jobs was somehow tracked down for comment:
Customers are voting and the iPhone is winning. With over 50,000 applications available from Apple’s revolutionary App Store, iPhone momentum is stronger than ever.
Fair enough, Stevo… Over a million handsets sold and over six million OS 3.0 downloads in one weekend is definitely a solid showing. What’s more is that despite a few issues here and there, users seem overwhelmingly happy with their new handsets. How about you guys — satisfied customers or buyer’s remorse?
PS- Apple, your website is slathered with “3G S” and today’s release repeatedly mentions “3GS”. Work it out.